Self levelling - what did I do wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Read the sticky, read BAL's product informatuion sheet and instructions.

Dry sand cement screed floor (about 1/5 levelling compound laid previous day), primed in accordance with instructions (2 coats BAL primer, 40kg of compoound mixed with about 9 litres water - instructions say 5-5.5kg water per 25kg powder and 1 litre of water - 1kg.

Compound spread over floor, did not self level. or even self smooth!!!

After an hour scraping with the edge of a float it is about there but I don't believe I should have had to do this.

So what did I do wrong?

Sponsored Links
which compound did you use?

you say 'about' 9 litres of water? You need to get this spot on. You have to be within 1/2 a litre of water per 25kg mix. For instance, if your mixing 1/2 a bag of compound you will only a have 1/4 of a litre of water leeway.

Also what was the temperature of the subfloor and room temperature when laying. If it was 22c and above you would only have maybe 5 mins to lay a mix before it stops flowing.

The main thing is the mixing tho. I never do a half mix as its near impossible to mix it correct unless you pre weigh what your mixing and do your maths correct. Its best to mix to much and a whole mix and dump what you dont use.

Now the bag has been opened the shelf life will be only a few weeks or so.

Bal Multibase.

The mix was 41kg (weighed the part bag, other part used the day before on parts where the compound would be thicker) - there is still some in the bottom of the bin.

Weighed the part bag (16kg) and used 8 1/2 litres of water (measured with her plastic measuring jug).

Mixed in old plastic dustbin - cleaned first.

It didn't dry, as plaster does when you put it on a dry porous surface, it stayed wet but didn't flow.

Room gets sun in the morning only, does not get very hot, probably over 20 degrees though as it was put down 4 o'clock Sunday afternoon. Would have been first thing in the morning but did not buy enough primer (it says 2 coats in the small print on the bottle) so finished the priming Sunday morning.

Had one bag spare (I didn't feel like putting another layer on!) and when I took it back they thought it would be the temperature.

Would like to know where I went wrong for next time - SWMBO wants me to go back and do the study where I chickened out because the floor was worse than this one (20mm variation in the concrete).

just had a quick look at the product you used as its not one i have ever used myself.

I would say the product is the wrong one to be using if you want a smooth finish. It says you can tile on it after 3 hours so it sets way to fast to get it a nice finish. It also says pourable and not pumpable?

Also it says you ca n feather edge to 5mm deep! This means you can get a 5mm ramp without it flowing. This product wont self smooth like they make out from what im reading.

Also the heat would not of helped but i dont think you had much chance in the first place.

Next time use F-Ball products!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back