Self taping screws for steel

M

marsaday

I have some strap over joist hangers which will go over my steel. I need to drill the steel and screw some screws in to hold the joist hanger from the top.

Any idea what size screw to use and what sort of screw. do i just ask for "self taping". Will 6mm thickness be ok.

Sponsored Links
Will they "self tap" into such a thick steel section?

Can't you Hilti nail a section of 4x1 or 4x2 to the top of the beam and then just nail the hangers as normal. Then you don't need lots of holes in the beam

woody is right.

Self-tappers are designed to hold in sheet-steel . They will not cut a thread in an RSJ.

ok, so self taping is out. I can use normal screws to go through into the joist then.

Cant add a timber plate as this will reduce the height of the room.

Sponsored Links
If you have inserted a timber within the web of the steel, then you could use some of the various face fix hangers and nail these into the timber

This is what i am using - speedy ones. but they bend over to fix into the top as well.

So they are face fixed, but i thought i needed to fix from the top as well.

No, speedy hangers are different

Face fix are normally thicker steel, and only as deep as the joist, and do not bend like the thin speedy hangers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back