Best Joist Hanger repair again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Remember me, the idiot who managed to cut through my joist hangers. I have taken a photo of the damage and would like any ideas how to repair the damage I have caused by slicing through the top of the hangers with a skill saw.
Even though I don't think the joists with ever move I'm worried about it and would like to repair them as best as possible.
My own ideas is maybe to drill 2 holes through each side of the hangers through the joists then stick maybe 2 M6 bolt through each side of the hangers.
My other idea was maybe to drill each side of the hangers again and use something like the strap I have made myself in the other photo, it would be stainless steel about 1.2mm thick.
I'm really not sure, I think I prefer the bolts through the sides of the hangers.
Does any body have any ideas?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/k.mott/hangers.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/k.mott/hanger.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry, Links are working now, I'm new to all this. Did not expect a reply so quick

Get some more exactly the same as your joist hangers and cut it in half, take out the nails on one side first and removed the joist hanger strip completely on top then put in the first half new joist hanger on one side and screw it over the old one using the same holes then do the other side.

The quickest way would be to spot weld it together again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.
I hear what your saying but I would be a bit scared of removing the nails on one side case the joist moved, plus I'm not sure it would be very easy to remove the nails, I will give it some thought though.
Do you really think spot welding them together is an option? I never thought of that. I think I know someone who would be able to do this for me, but do you think it would be safe to do?
Thanks

kev999 said:
Do you really think spot welding them together is an option? I never thought of that. I think I know someone who would be able to do this for me, but do you think it would be safe to do?
Thanks

If you can get it welded, that's the way to go as it's a lot easier, make sure the welder don't do it too hot on the joists hanger as the metal is a thin grade.

Wickes do a nice wide flat L-shape bracket, you could put that on top then weld it.

I wouldnt be too overly concerned, you still have a fair number of face fixed nails. Urm welding would seem to me as a last resort option and one i wouldnt recommend.
First, Assuming there isnt 50 joists cut then running a couple of bolts each side of the joist seems the best option. Remove that screw and run one in that location then another above that about half way between the first bolt and the top of joist. Up the bolt size to M12's. Put a square or round plate washer each side of the bolt (at least 3mm thick washer).
Second option would be to run some straps over the top of the joist and both sides and fully nail it down.
Third option is slap in a few more nails, 20 nails total for a face fixed joist hanger is plenty.
OR Fourth, go for 3 coach bolts each side of joist.

The bolt option is best as it also ties the double joist together.

The M12 bolt option sounds like the option that I can do myself if I can get in to drill 12mm holes OK, access is a bit limited between the joists..
The welding I would have to get someone to do.
I'm thinking of the other option given by masona of useing half hangers over the existing ones, the only thing I'm concerned about is getting the nails out of each side of the hangers.
Do you think the nails will come out OK, or will it be a nightmare job, or is it dangerous incase the joist moves? forgot to mention I have 3 joist hangers to repair
Thanks

Use a nail puller if you have the room or stick a old screwdriver in between the joist and hanger then lever it a bit so the nail head is proud then use a pincher tool
g8028.jpg

What I think I will do is have a go at removing the nails at a point where it is not supporting anything, and depending how easy it is to get them out I will decide whether to go will the new half hangers over the top or the bolts through the sides.
I need to also look at the hangers and see if they are available for me to buy.
If you have any more ideas let me know, I will keep you posted on what happens, I probabaly will not get to look for the new hangers until Saturday.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/k.mott/hangers.jpg

Started to look for these exact joist hangers online to find where to go get them but I can not find them anywhere.
Does anybody know where to get them? they are holding a 190x46 (200x50 I expect) joist.
I will try my local biulders Merchant on Friday, but if I can not find the exact same ones I will have to think of maybe using the bolts or steel banding.

I can't understand why you want to take the old hangers off,they are soft enough to be able to wrap a new hanger around the joist and be still be able to fix with nails or better still scews

Remove the joist hanger strip on the top which is not doing anything then put this joist over the old one.
59640.jpg

Hi,
Update, did managed to repair, thanks for all your help.
Finally went with masona 's idea of screwing new sides of the hangers over the old ones. Took me a bit of time to do the job but at least I feel this repair is good and strong.
Photo of repair below

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/k.mott/repair.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back