Self wire

I have seen the work of one particular registered electrician who I would not trust to wire a 13amp plug.
'tis possible to become a registered electrician without having to demonstrate competence at wiring a plug, or indeed without ever having wired one in your life.....
Would the person who gave that a thumbs down care to provide a rational explanation as to why?

Do they believe that it's not true?

Or do they believe that it is true but it is a truth which should not be written here?

Sponsored Links
I have seen the work of one particular registered electrician who I would not trust to wire a 13amp plug.
'tis possible to become a registered electrician without having to demonstrate competence at wiring a plug, or indeed without ever having wired one in your life.....
Would the person who gave that a thumbs down care to provide a rational explanation as to why?

Do they believe that it's not true?

Or do they believe that it is true but it is a truth which should not be written here?

I didn't give the thumbs down to this statement, because I haven't figured out how to - I prefer to respond directly.

By registered I assume you mean someone who is shown on the competent persons list.

I can only comment of my own scheme and say that applicants have to demonstrate they have both practical and theorectical knowledge of their subject. They also need to be able to demonstrate that ability to an assessor initially and every 12 months (the grilling) with practical and relevant examples of their work. Practical and theorectical knowledge is tested against specific C&G courses such as 2330 Level 2&3, 2381 and 2391.

If someone knows someone is a 'registered electrician' and cannot wire a 13amp plug or has other evidence of poor work then they should present that evidence to the relevant scheme organisers.

I can only comment of my own scheme and say that applicants have to demonstrate they have both practical and theorectical knowledge of their subject. They also need to be able to demonstrate that ability to an assessor initially and every 12 months (the grilling) with practical and relevant examples of their work.
Ah, but are they asked about wiring plugs? ;)

Practical and theorectical knowledge is tested against specific C&G courses such as 2330 Level 2&3, 2381 and 2391.
It would be nice if the schemes also mandated all of those qualifications before they let people in....

If someone knows someone is a 'registered electrician' and cannot wire a 13amp plug or has other evidence of poor work then they should present that evidence to the relevant scheme organisers.
Who, as we all know, vigorously and scrupulously expel anybody who isn't up to scratch.

Sponsored Links
Well I & 4 others sat the limited scope part P acs , 2 days we were there , & most of the time , we did not have a clue what the bloke was talking about , I was the only person who turned up with the relevant testing equipment , plus the oblgatory neon screw driver of course !

But hey we all got it ! Total kin disgrace really , should have all been shown the door .

Well I & 4 others sat the limited scope part P acs , 2 days we were there , & most of the time , we did not have a clue what the bloke was talking about , I was the only person who turned up with the relevant testing equipment , plus the oblgatory neon screw driver of course !

But hey we all got it ! Total kin disgrace really , should have all been shown the door .

And you should've been the first out the door if you had a neon screwdriver with you, or at least had it consficated and returned at hometime, if ever.
In my experience tutors teach well enough, it's just that the majority of exams are passable by anyone with a modicum of memory or an ounce of common sense.

And you should've been the first out the door if you had a neon screwdriver with you, or at least had it consficated and returned at hometime, if ever.
In my experience tutors teach well enough, it's just that the majority of exams are passable by anyone with a modicum of memory or an ounce of common sense.

No I should have been the last out the door as I was the only person who turned up with the relevant testing equipment ! no one else bothered !
As for passing the assessment we were all coached ! Must admit never got to use me neon screw driver :)

Nah - should have been told that possession of such an item would result in being thrown off the course, and that he had to hide it about his person where it wouldn't be found during a pat-down search.... :evil:

A post which got a thumbs down.
Oh look - the pathetic, sad and inadequate little child is still ringing the bell and running away.

I'd ask him to justify his negative vote, but I know that he has neither the intellect to have even a remote chance of being able to do that nor the balls to want to try.

Nah - should have been told that possession of such an item would result in being thrown off the course, and that he had to hide it about his person where it wouldn't be found during a pat-down search.... :evil:

:D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back