The usual shed installation question

Sponsored Links
I'm not a sparky..yet but think you need some saddles supporting the conduit at regualr spaces (not sure on the distance reqd between each one). Also on your first pic I think you need to support your swa (cleat etc)

But looks pretty neat for me, might be worried about the shower mounting being chip board though, hardwood painted white gloss would have been my choice there.

It looks like a very neat installation.

When using a 3 core cable for single phase supplies the conventional colours are black to earth sleaved green/yellow and grey neutral sleaved blue.

That's your first mark dropped :LOL:

apart from whats been mentioned i would have a look at the pull switch mounting, is it fixed to the trunking. oh and can that label be taken off the conduit, or at least put round the back.

Sponsored Links

When using a 3 core cable for single phase supplies the conventional colours are black to earth sleaved green/yellow and grey neutral sleaved blue.

:oops:
I went for black as Neutral due to... well black WAS neutral.
Would say I'll remember that for next time but this was a one off for a friend and I knew it was going to be tested and checked by a spark.

apart from whats been mentioned i would have a look at the pull switch mounting, is it fixed to the trunking. oh and can that label be taken off the conduit, or at least put round the back.

I knew this would be one that cropped up!
No the switch isn't fixed to the trunking.
Before mounting it I did have some concerns as to where to mount it and if I could get it securely fixed.
It is however fixed very stable and i have near enough swung on the cord to double check.

And the conduit sticker was removed
:D

Makes sense thinking about it now.
Old red yellow blue, well yellow was earth.
So brown black grey black should be earth.
L1 L2 L3 again I'd use L2?

Have I understood correctly?

Yes, it is also to try and remove the association with black and neutral as in harmonized 3 phase supplies, black is one of the phases.

Where does this convention come from? We were taught that although some practices may be more common than others, there is no right or wrong way as long as all conductors are correctly identified.

That is true, but it would be nice if everyone were to sing from the same hymn sheet.

I'm not sure if the IEE recommend the use of that colour scheme, but the NICEIC do (for what that is worth), and a few other trade bodies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back