Selling a house without an estate agent

Sponsored Links
Never used one myself but if I ever move again I will be doing just that.

Don't see why they wouldn't work, most people do their research on Rightmove etc anyway.

Agents come in handy if you need someone to show people round and do a bit of chasing so if you can do those, why pay someone to do it.

I guess some people could be put off dealing directly with the owner, but that really boils down to the owner/personality etc.

Sold two house via DIY.

Make web site, draw plans, post pictures, do a decent description.

Advertise picture and URL in the locals, both costs me 10 hours and about £400 in advertising and marketing.

Values of sales were £135k and £345kn so saving at 2% commission was about £9k.

The more you put on your site the better, less stupid peeps phoning about stuff that was clear on the web site. As for viewings both times we had pre booked open weekends, and both times a bidding war.

You can always get a couple of agents round to value etc, they will do draft particulars which you can then pinch.

Sponsored Links
It's not the fact that as an owner you may be uncomfortable about dealing with a buyer its the fact I would say, that the majority of buyers are uncomfortable about dealing direct with the seller. For that reason unless 1. You have a unique property for sale or 2. You are happy to sell below market value, it makes more sense to deal through an agent IMO

It's not the fact that as an owner you may be uncomfortable about dealing with a buyer its the fact I would say, that the majority of buyers are uncomfortable about dealing direct with the seller. For that reason unless 1. You have a unique property for sale or 2. You are happy to sell below market value, it makes more sense to deal through an agent IMO

Absolute rubbish.

The legal process is the same, the survey process is the same, and from an honesty point of view would argue that dealing direct with a seller is better than dealing with an EA.

If paying 2% is better than paying 0.25% on a few 100k tell me why. :rolleyes:

More comfortable dealing with an estate agent? you having a laugh? have you never dealt with one. yep i want some inept feckless moron to take a few pictures of my house and get rich off me. tbh the only thing they have you dont is the reach of their marketing.

More comfortable dealing with an estate agent? you having a laugh? have you never dealt with one. yep i want some inept feckless moron to take a few pictures of my house and get rich off me. tbh the only thing they have you dont is the reach of their marketing.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. Been with a local estate agent for the last 2 months and all the viewings have been from the net. The agents have been useless. It took them a week to change a picture on rightmove.

I have given them my 14 day notice and will almost certainly be using an online estate agent. Emoov seems to be the one ill be using

On line work on the basis that a buyer is searching for something on line.

I'd go with one that gives your web space a direct URL. You can then top that up with your own marketing which can be a simple picture and the URL for the curious to look at.

By marketing mean a local presence, local advertising. I even paid £5 and posted a picture post card to the 5 local newsagents when doing mine.

Might sound low rent, as in a cheap thing to do, but the logic was simply that people wanting to move to the area will often visit the newsagent for a local paper, a browse in the window ads and a chat with the shop keeper about the area.

As for local newspapers, often a group own all the locals and you can get the 3 or 4 papers that are in catchment to do a multi deal advert. I did a multi deal two weeks, picture and basic text was circa £250.

I even sign wrote my own sales sign with the URL for the property that was very near a school so all those mums could be curious.

Absolute rubbish.

The legal process is the same, the survey process is the same, and from an honesty point of view would argue that dealing direct with a seller is better than dealing with an EA.

If paying 2% is better than paying 0.25% on a few 100k tell me why. :rolleyes:

just seen this or would have replied sooner. Just cos you or I are happy to deal with an owner direct doesnt mean to say a large % of others are. For lots of people buying a property is a big deal and quite frightening.

And who the hell looks in newsagents shop windows when buying a house for gods sake....

its rightmove, rightmove and rightmove and more rightmove (unfortunately)

re. your quoted % fees - they are too high. 1.5% or 1.0% more like - not a huge amount of money given the value of what you are selling...

edit
that should be 1.25% not 1.5%. hair splitting I know but thought I should correct it :)

Matz, yeah but no.

The op asked about selling privately, as already mentioned I have done so twice.

The one sold at £330k was a village property, and in the 5 mile radius there were three shops, each had a card placed in, and generated seven calls to me and four viewings.

In the location prospective purchasers would go to news agents for the local papers, so it seemed natural to target such types. So you being negative about such tactics is wrong, it worked for me.

Fees vary for EA's the property's sold in 2001 and 2005, at the time the rates were between 1.5 and 2.0 and the EA's in the area had locked in the rates amongst themselves.

Anyway we distract.

It is perfectly ok to sell privately, and I have proved that, and will do it again when we come to downsize in a few years time. The house value is circa £600k, in a good strong resale location in N. London and I won't be giving any EA £9k commission for selling something that I will sell for £500-£1000 of costs.

I really don't understand why the majority turn into shee and use EA's to sell property.

Surely I'm not unique?

Until a couple of years ago, the obstacle to selling your own home was that the major website didn't want to put private ads on, for fera of upsetting their main base, the Estate Agent. In fcat the Estate Agents were threatening to withdraw their business.

There was a test case, the outcome of which I never heard, but given the number of options now available to advertise your home online with the major websites, I would think it reasonable to think that the Estate Agents lost.

There is a website, www.Sellyourownhouse.co.uk, which gives what a ppears to be a very good service for people who don't want to use an Estate Agent at a reasonable cost ( No I don't work for them )

They put your house on 4 major national sites and to be honest, that's all the Local Estate Agent is doing now, 90% of people look on line for a property and some just drive around the area that they want, looking for Sale Boards.

I have always begrudged the Estate Agents fees, how can they justify the % fees ? If your house ios worth £100k he charges you £1000 at 1%, but he charges the owner of a £500k house £5000 at the same rate.
What does the owner of the £500k house get that the £100k householder doesn't ?

Have a go yourself and keep the money the Estate Agent would have taken :!: :) :)

interesting discussion and you can do alot with 9K!!

I've just sold a deceased property and have the unenviable task of selling another. I have been sorely tempted to DIY on them as I have absoloutely no problem with doing it this way from my end. In fact I bought my last house direct from the owner via a homemade For Sale sign in the garden and it was fine but then I'm ok with dealing with this stuff.

I say again, lots of people are not ok and feel the "comfort" of going through an agent to be desirable but granted this is my personal opinion. I think its easy to think "everyone is like us" but there is alot of naive people around.

So back to DIY selling - how do you as a private seller qualify a potential buyer from a financial point of view? because that is what an agent can do - if they're any good that is :rolleyes:

My dad was supposed to complete the transaction on his house and move to another today. Everything was in place, removal men had taken his stuff to his new house, the buyers removal men were waiting outside my dad's house. Removal men waiting at the buyers house to move another couples stuff in. 4:15 pm and my dad got a call from his solicitors. The solicitors for the chap who was buying my dads house, had transferred the money. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Sadly their secretary had put the wrong bank account number on the transaction. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Sadly it can't now be sorted out until next Tuesday, although the chaps solicitors have admitted responsibility for this monumental cockup and have said they will reimburse all extra costs involved with the removal men of all parties involved. My dad is now really stressed, but I'm sure he'll get over it. ;) ;)
I'm now wondering what would happen if someone checks their bank account over the weekend and realises they now have a couple of hundred grand in it, that wasn't there on Friday morning, and decide to go on a spending spree over the weekend???

lol (or not!) I was only reading an article on online banking the other day about the pitfalls of transferring monies and pressing the wrong button - hey presto, a recipient gets a windfall and the banks say sorry not our problem and you are left to the scruples and morals of the recipient to do the honest thing.

I do hope you have a p[ositive outcome - I'm sure it will be ok. Solicitors eh, the ones you pay £250 per hour and they still make mistakes :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back