Selling a pre-fab garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking at buying a property that has a 4 car pre-fab garage (with an asbestos roof) in the middle of the garden. Is this something that is saleable - or even freecyclable? Would the roof pose a problem or is it ok to sell on asbestos sheets so long as the relevant precautions are carried out while dismantling.

Sponsored Links
We're looking at buying a property that has a 4 car pre-fab garage (with an asbestos roof) in the middle of the garden. Is this something that is saleable - or even freecyclable? Would the roof pose a problem or is it ok to sell on asbestos sheets so long as the relevant precautions are carried out while dismantling.

It would defintely be sellable.
You might not get a huge amount for it but one mans junk is another mans treaure and all that :)

As for the asbestos roof, you would need to check, but I would 'guess' that provided the structure is dismantled correctly and the asbestos is not broken up then it would be ok to sell with the garage.
Its not the blue asbestos usually in pre fab garages from what I remember so its not too dodgy anyway.

Asbestos sheets are a grey area (no pun intented) It's illegal for a supplier to sell them, so I don't see why a private seller should be able to get away with it. It'll probably be easier to sell without the asbestos sheets anyway. They often break up when dismantling and will cause no end of grief. You could probably give them away though.

I think you'd get good money for something like this on ebay, but 4 cars? How big is this thing anyway?

Thanks for the replies. I haven't got dimensions but lets say it wouldn't be a squeeze to get 4 ford focuses in there!

It's in a dip in the garden where the site has been levelled off. I was going to hire a mini digger and re-level the whole garden. Would I need to break up and remove the concrete slab if it was going to be covered with 2' of earth?

Sponsored Links
I think you would need a bigger digger than a mini digger!

2 foot is reasonable coverage, but you might get drainage problems. So breaking up and leaving in situ, or hiring some kind of very very big drill to make holes in the slab, would be better than just leaving it whole.

If you are thinking of selling the garage, how much would you want for it. I am not in need of one straight away but in the near future. I live in manchester, how far away are you?

Easy tiger! I haven't even offered on the house yet! I'm in Kent BTW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back