selling car - which paper work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im selling a car which is not registered in my name. It is from another person which I no longer have contact with.

I only have a slip called v5/2

Is this slip enough to sell the car and for the new owner to easily transfer the car to his name?

Sponsored Links
No, the V 5/2 is only of use for the new keeper to be able to tax the car while waiting for new reg doc. The seller and the new owner need to sign the blue part and the person selling sends it to DVLA.

Cheers mate. Seems like I dont have the required docs to sell the car then. Only got a v5/2 with the previous owners name written out on it. THink i may have to apply for a new V5. Gonna take ages for that now. :confused:

if you word process a sales document, and the buyer is happy to buy from you. then you can sell a car without any documents.

i've sold a few cars with no paperwork at all other than an mot cert.

You need the buyer to fill out the v62 form, from the page below.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/frms_vehicles.htm

Make sure you copy the sales doc twice and you write the new owners details down with the time and date of sale ideally with a witness. Some people ask to see the new drivers license or insurance before a test drive, which would mean you can note down their details.

Good luck with the sale!!

Sponsored Links
PLEASE!!!

How many times?

DO NOT buy a car without a V5......you have been warned.

I'm not casting aspersions on anyone here, but how can you check a car is Kosher without a V5?

You cant Buy sell a car without the V5. Even if your are Trade you still have to follow the rules. You can be fined if you dont fill in the forms and send it away.
Quick Fit

Back