Selling Home - Regulations advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting my house on the market, but at the minute, the bath and basin waste water simply drain out on to the garage guttering the same as rain water.
This leaves soap suds on the back garden pation area.
I've had a quote to get the waste drain to the soil pipe, but i just wondered if i have to get this work done to sell the house.
Any advice would be great -

Thank you
Andy

Sponsored Links
If the buyers have a survey conducted, the surveyor ought to pick this up. If so the buyers will probably expect a reduction to compensate for this.

If Building Control are aware they would undoubtedly require it to be fixed.

We assume there are separate foul and surface water drainage systems on your property and that these waste pipes were added to the surface water system where there were none before?

If Building control are made aware they are extremely unlikely to do anything other than write to you and mark it down as illegal works (which would show up on following searches). If its more than a year they cannot lawfully do anything about it (ie prosecute (not they ever would anyway)). After 12 months though it will not default to legal and will always remain illegal until legalised.

Sponsored Links
This is most likley unlawful under the Water Bye-laws/Regulations, and there would be normally be a question on the Property Information Form (from the conveyance Solicitor) relating to this and you would have to answer truthfully

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back