Selling my house and survey has picked issue with electrics

I had no idea you could still buy a brand new Wylex fuseboard! Bet they don't sell many of them!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I had no idea you could still buy a brand new Wylex fuseboard! Bet they don't sell many of them!

I think the last Wylex fuseboard actually with fuses that I installed was in 1994 - 20 years ago. I too assumed they had gradually phased themselves out over the years, but clearly there must be some demand.

When an electrical installation condition report (EICR) is written we have three codes.

Code 1 means it has immediate danger.
Code 2 means it may become dangerous should a second fault occur.
Code 3 means safety could be improved if this was rectified.

Although there is no need to improve standards to today's regulations the inspection is based on today's regulations so a simple lack of RCD protection will mean nearly every circuit will get a code 3 so as far as you are concerned a code 3 is a pass.

Although a code 2 may cause concern even that could mean there is nothing wrong other than the age of the installation means it was wired to a lower standard than used today. It would depend why the code 2 was issued.

So only a code 1 would mean some action was required before the new owners took up residency. In fact with a code 1 you are in danger and it could be you need re-housing until it's corrected.

For the electrician code 1 is a real problem as in order to test one needs to turn off power for which action you need permission from the occupants and once turned off when a code 1 is found they are not permitted to turn it back on again. However neither are they allowed to make a dwelling uninhabitable without finding alternative accommodation. So normally when a code 1 is found it needs immediate work to correct which if the inspection is being done for the buyer rather than seller is a clear problem.

But since he has not turned off the power then also the reverse is true he could not have found any code 1 items. And unless code 1 really it's not your problem.

Because it's been wired a certain way for years without accident does not make it safe. I went to a bridge which was designed to open and the controls were knife switches which were clearly very dangerous with exposed live parts but no one had ever been daft enough to touch those live parts so there had been no accident in the 95 years it had been there. That did not make it safe.

Unlikely such a drastic item would be found in a house but as street services have been updated many old houses have been left with no earth where they relied on the metal pipework for an earth. Even where originally they had an earth rod corrosion can mean it is no longer connected.

As a result every house should be tested either every 10 years or on change of occupant which ever is the sooner to identify faults like this. So you should have had a report done when you moved in.

As already stated a single ring final or lighting circuit was common just 25 years ago when my house was built and is no reason to mean a re-wire is required. Also wired fuses were also normal 25 years ago and again no reason to say a re-wire is required.

In the main a re-wire is considered as required when the insulation is damaged on the wiring through the age of the installation and use of rubber cables. Also re-wire likely considered as required when last one was before 1960 and as a result there are no earths to the lights.

Where a house is rented out a higher standard is required so with a buy to let property then the new owners may indeed need to get it re-wired before they let it out. However there are many ways to correct most faults and for the seller to re-wire would be daft.

When my mother either dies or goes into a home her house will need a re-wire. If we decide to rent the house then either my son or I will re-wire the house. But even as electricians if we decide to sell then the house will not be re-wired by us. Even if we do re-wire it will only be lights and sockets that will be re-wired in bedrooms and living rooms kitchen will not be touched. For some functions cables originally used for items like the stair lift will likely be re-used for other functions. We would not rip out old just for the sake of it only where the old is imperial rubber would it be renewed.

Where the council have up-dated properties including a re-wire I am sure it does not cost £5000 for the re-wire. In 1980 a house would have 4 circuits ring final, lights, cooker, and immersion heater. Today that would be 6 circuits where lights and ring are split into two in order that a fault causing a RCD to trip would not mean no lights or no power one would only lose parts not all.

However most house re-wires would also include a kitchen ring and dedicated supplies to garage or shed but that would not be included with a basic re-wire. Also with a basic re-wire all cables would be surface not buried in the wall this means you don't require RCD protection for cables. So if a house was to be re-wired the cost is likely double for a basic re-wire to that of a desirable re-wire.

To valid points have been already raised.
1) Good business to try and get price lowered.
2) Electricians need to protect themselves so if any uncertainty better to condemn than pass. If an electrician walks into a house and sees it would require a lot of work to bring to modern standard if he recommends a re-wire then he can get away doing far less testing.

When I took my inspection and testing exam I had to test a board which was to emulate a typical wiring set-up. There were no sized screws and all wiring was very easy to assess but it took a whole hour to test it. Actually more than an hour. If I was to test a house to the same standard it would take all day. It is unlikely for a house purchase the electrician would go to such lengths. Once he condemns a circuit he stops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back