Selling scrap metal nails and screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, over the years I have built up a collection of 'just in case' screws and nails which I rarely use and the pile never seems to go down. I have also just been given several more full jars from the mother in law. I want to clear the garage - is there any value in selling these to a scrap metal merchant? If so, how do I go about it - seperating different metals etc etc. Also have things like old kitchen knifes and baking trays - do these have any value. If there is no value in it, is this the type of thing I can get rid of in the metal recycling at my local council tip? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Car boot them or leave them outside with 'free' written on them.

Just the man. I need 3 x two and a half inch long zinc screws, countersunk with a left hand thread, slotted or phillips it doesn't matter.
If you can come up with them from your collection I'll make it worth your while. ;)
I'm prepared to swap you some of my collection of tap washers and brass olives for them.
How about 2 olives and a tap washer per screw, does that sound fair?

I thought a good screw was worth fifty knicker in City Rd.

Sponsored Links
Get a big magnet and separate the ferrous from the non-ferrous. The NF will be weighed separately on a scale and for the ferrous you'll have to drive over a weighbridge, dump then drive over again. Unfortunately a couple of kgs is unlikely to register so you will need to add a few old radiators and bits and pieces to make the trip worthwhile.

NB: if you take an old copper cyclinder, strip off the insulation or they will penalise you. A couple of litres of water accidentally left sloshing around inside will earn you some extra cash, *cough*.

I was quoted £1.20/kg for cable recently
So, brass could be somewhere in the region of £2/kg (very rough estimate). But you'd need a lot to make it worthwhile.
Ferrous screws are probably not worth taking. If you have a scrap skip at work you could put it in there, as they will get money back for far more ferrous material than a householder.

Most scrap yards have scales that do not require a car on a weighbridge.

However, you will need your car for ID - they'll need your reg number.

Also, they will probably pay you straight to your debit card.

Heck its gone down then, it was about £4.50 a years or so ago..

Sponsored Links
Back