Scrap Metal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We've taken on an allotment and having now felled the wilderness that had grown in this recent wet weather, we've uncovered no end of, to put it politely, junk. Some of this is an array of metal objects ranging from an old steel bath, a big oil drum, cans, metal bars/poles and what look like they could have once been transformers of some sort... With the exception of the bathtub, its all pretty rusty. I'm assuming my best option to rid this stuff is to call a scrap man, but, maybe unjustly, my view of scrap men is that they're all a bit dodgy, so i'm wanting to get a heads-up before i contact them.

Should I expect to be able to sell this stuff to the scrap man, or should I be happy that if he comes and collects it, he gets it for free, or is it all just junk and he'll want me to pay him to take it away? Really not sure how it works..?

Sponsored Links
hi Andrew, round here, the scrap man takes your junk away for free, as long as there is something saleable in it for him, which seems fair enough to me :cool:

Thanks Diane,

I'm aware metal prices are high now, but i'm unsure how valuable rusty metal is to anyone? I'm guessing its worth nothing. I think probably the bathtub is the only thing that might possibly be worth anything. If that is the case then I'd be more than happy to see the back of it all, with the scrap man covering his costs from the value of that.

I guess i'd be glad to get rid of it with it costing me nothing, but if I can get a few quid for any of it - that'd be better!! I could probably get rid of all but the bathtub and the large oil drum myself anyway...

hi Andrew, round here, the scrap man takes your junk away for free, as long as there is something saleable in it for him, which seems fair enough to me :cool:

So he refused yours then Di' ? :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If the old transformer has its windings then that is worth selling for scrap , as to the other stuff if you have a van full and the scrapyard isn't too far out of your way then that too is probably worth taking in. It's been a while since I took any steel in but if I recall correctly it was about £160-180 a tonne.

pile it up,and put a for sale sign on.

some bugger will then nick it,problem sorted. :LOL:

If the p!keys in your area are like the ones around here, they don't have sat-nav, but dashboard mounted metal detectors.

Just pile it up within sight of the road, and an ancient Tranny pickup will be there in no time to spirit it away.

Job done! :D

I guess i'd be glad to get rid of it with it costing me nothing, but if I can get a few quid for any of it - that'd be better!! ..

Hence why I suggested you take it yourself rather than just leaving it to some bloke in an untaxed battered tranny, beside once you've put something out they'll keep coming round to see what else you have .

I guess i'd be glad to get rid of it with it costing me nothing, but if I can get a few quid for any of it - that'd be better!! ..

Hence why I suggested you take it yourself rather than just leaving it to some bloke in an untaxed battered tranny, beside once you've put something out they'll keep coming round to see what else you have .

It's an allotment.

Will they be back for his Brussels? :LOL:

Make sure you have your £150 a time licence, one minute you hope to get a freebie, next you want paying for your crap. :rolleyes:

Greed, your dad a banker.? ;)

Sponsored Links
Back