Selling the stuff I rip out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to embark on a biggish project, and as I go I'll be ripping out ...

1. one carpet - about 4.5 x 4.2 m - that's in pretty okay condition

2. a three piece bathroom suite, not ancient but not new either

3. full kitchen; sink, cooker and old units

4. big mirrored fitted wardrobes, about 3m in width

Is there any point trying to sell this stuff, or will I get so little for it that it's really not worth the effort?

If you've sold stuff like this, would just suggest ebay (given I'm in Glasgow, so only Scots will realistically collect), or would the local press or maybe local salvage or bargain companies be best?

Or perhaps the best option would be to get it all hauled away for free by a local trader? At least that way I don't have to pay for a skip!!

Any thoughts or advice *very* gratefully received... :confused: :)

Sponsored Links
try fleabay first as it might get bid up, then local paper at very cheap prices. I can't imagine myself buying a used carpet or kitchen units, and you can get a cheap bathroom suite for about £150, delivered.

When I first set up house and was very hard up I was glad of a used cooker and fridge.

Give everything a really good clean if you're hoping to sell it

If no interest, chuck it.

doubt any one will want it (shame really, but would you buy a 2nd bath?)

i just looked on ebay, a cast iron bath (needs cleaning) is going for 99p (ends just before mid day)

another whole suite is £175

:idea:

sell it as a planter, some one may pay a fiver for it

Sponsored Links
by all means try and sell the item but possible negatives

do you have somwhere to store the stuff as it may take a month from start to finnish from listing in whatever to get rid of it !!!!

can you be bothered to waste 2 days carefully removing and cleaning a kitchen just in case someone wants it!!!!!

some one may bid a£1 pay the pound and not turn up!!!

even a free kitchen will cost around £50 to hire a van

your best bet is to try local charities [scouts boys clubs ect ]that may need a kitchen then it can be a project for the bigger lads to get there kitchen fitters badge to go beside there woggle :rolleyes: !!

Why not give to people that really need it on freecycle.

Or is it cos your tight ? :LOL:

ha ha ha... yeah!!

I think you've all more or less confirmed what I suspected. This would be a waste of time.

I will Freecycle it I think. I've given stuff away on it before - feels great! :D

I once bought half a dozen solid oak kitchen doors on fleabay for about 57p!

They're still sitting in the garage, there must be other fools like me :(

You'd be surprised what stuff gets snapped up on Freecycle - used toilet seats and all sorts! Ok you don't get any money for it, but also you don't have to pay to have it taken away. And unlike on Ebay you're not expected to arrange to have it sent, the people usually pick it up from you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back