SELV fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of an SELV fan that has a transformer unit that will fit a 2G box?

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know of an SELV fan that has a transformer unit that will fit a 2G box?
Per what BAS says, I think most current Manrose ones are the shape/size of a 2-gang accessory (my daughter has one), and are designed to be able to be attached to (but not in) a 2G back box. However, they are 60-70mm deep and all of that will then 'stick out'.

Kind Regards, John

The one on TLC's site looks like this:

upload_2018-3-20_18-10-4.png

Mine this:

upload_2018-3-20_18-10-42.png

On mine, all the gubbins is fixed to the front half, so I mounted it in a flush box instead of the supplied pattress.

On the new one it looks as if the works might be fixed into the bottom half, and the top bit just a cover, which would rule out doing what I did. You'd need to have a look in a friendly wholesaler.

Sponsored Links
But unless you want to continually fiddle with the delay setting, the transformer doesn't need to be on the surface of a wall - it can be tucked out of sight somewhere.

Just rung Manrose Tech.

They say it will go in a 2G box. Apparently, the front cover of the unit is different, but the unit will still fit.

Just rung Manrose Tech. They say it will go in a 2G box. Apparently, the front cover of the unit is different, but the unit will still fit.
I don't fully understand what they mean by "will go in a 2G box" - since the Manrose box itself clearly won't 'fit into' a 2G back box.

Maybe they have changed, but the ones I've seen are all about 60-65mm deep, with the front and back parts roughly equal depths. Hence, even if all the innards were attached to the front part (which I didn't think was the case, but that may be poor memory!), that part could be attached 'onto' a 2G box, but would still stick out 30mm or so in front of the box. I've personally over ever 'surface mounted' them.

Kind Regards, John

I've personally over ever 'surface mounted' them.

but would still stick out 30mm or so

So, if I "flush" mount it, it will stick out less than if it were on its surface box.
That's what I'm after.

So, if I "flush" mount it, it will stick out less than if it were on its surface box. That's what I'm after.
Indeed. If the innards are all attached to the front half of the box (which I'm pretty certain was not the case with the last one I used, albeit 2 or 3 years ago), then 'flush mounting' just that front half of the box would mean that it would only stick out about half as much as if it were 'surface mounted' (i.e. ~30mm, rather than ~60mm).

However, I wouldn't personally call that "putting it in" the back box.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back