Semi Circle Chase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

I am about chase some cables into our kitchen wall so I can fit an Ikea kitchen.
In the picture you can see there's one semi circle horizontal lead which I assume daisy chains two power sockets.
My question: Is it o.k to to cut a semi circle chase or is that not a good idea?

Any suggestions how to do this job most effectively?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3051.JPG
    IMG_3051.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links
Can we see the bigger picture?

If the cables connect to outlets that are in line with each other, it would be best to cut a horizontal chase and run the cables in the safe area.

Can we see the bigger picture?

If the cables connect to outlets that are in line with each other, it would be best to cut a horizontal chase and run the cables in the safe area.

You can just about see the sockets in this picture.
So a horizontal chase is o.k?

Attachments

• IMG_3052.JPG
    IMG_3052.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
No. There will be nothing to show that the cables are in the wall at that point.
(check cable zones here
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls )
You could put a socket in the loop, or just chase in to the wall but don’t fill the chase in. It will be behind the cabinets right?

That's right it will be behind the cabinet so I guess there's no need to fill the chase.
Vertical chases are fine to fill right?

That's right it will be behind the cabinet so I guess there's no need to fill the chase.
Vertical chases are fine to fill right?
The verticals are ok because they are in the defined zone (vertically underneath the sockets)!

The verticals are ok because they are in the defined zone (vertically underneath the sockets)!

O.k that makes sense, thanks.
One more question: is it best to use some kind of conduit to protect the cable?

No. There will be nothing to show that the cables are in the wall at that point.
I think you misread the question. It's about the cable going between the two sockets - which would be best run as a simple horizontal link directly between them (and hence in the safe zones) instead of having that big loop of cable.

I think you misread the question. It's about the cable going between the two sockets - which would be best run as a simple horizontal link directly between them (and hence in the safe zones) instead of having that big loop of cable.
True a horizontal cable between the two sockets would likely be ideal.
But i believe the Op originally asked
My question: Is it o.k to to cut a semi circle chase or is that not a good idea?

So i assume his intention was to chase in that big loop in situ , rather than reroute it

That is my understanding too. Maybe the OP can clarify?

That's correct, chase in the big loop would be ideal as it falls within my level of expertise.

A shorter horizontal cable between the two sockets is worth considering. I guess I could cut the chase myself and get an electrician to connect it
all up.

I guess I could cut the chase myself and get an electrician to connect it
all up.
I’ll doubt that anyone can be 4rsed to do a little job like that. He might do it as part of a larger package of work.
Anyway, does that loop actually connect the two sockets together?

If I were you, stick to your plan of just cutting a chase.

I’ll doubt that anyone can be 4rsed to do a little job like that. He might do it as part of a larger package of work.
Anyway, does that loop actually connect the two sockets together?

If I were you, stick to your plan of just cutting a chase.

I assume it connects the two sockets together, can't see what other function it would have. Will stick to original plan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back