Semi-detached 1960's house pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...
I have a problem with rain finding it's way in around the landing window (both inner sides of the window sill). I've also got a problem with rain getting in through the flashing between the house and the garage extension.
I've had a quote for the flashing, but the builder suggested that the pointing on the gable end wall (the wall the extension is joined to and where the landing window is) is quite bad and may also be the cause of water getting in.
I've had a further quote for this work at between £1300 - £1400
I've read a bit on pointing since and it seems there's a lot more to it than simply slapping some mortar in there and making it look pretty.
Lime mortar? Is that for older houses?
Bucket Handle, Weahterstruck, Recessed (the original looks recessed to me).
The question is ---- Is this someting i should be contemplating doing myself or shouls i leave it to the professionals?
Is the quote fair?
Should i try to find cheaper?

I'm going mad in my own head trying to solve my dilemma.
The main problem is that I'm already spending a fortune on a new kitchen and building work and at the end of my budget and need to save money.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long winded question.

Andy

Sponsored Links
It'll be bucket handle for sure on that age of house - and probably variable strength from each mix. Always wise to get 3 quotes and if you have time and don't mind the clouds of dust you could grind out yourself and re point. Presumably off a scaffold going over the garage? Personally I would look in the cavity either taking a brick out or using a borescope and see how the flashing is over the garage.

Thanks Nige - sounds like good advice.
So re-pointing isn't something that requires any particular training.
I don't mean to belittle anyone here, i simply want to know if i could do the job.
I guess experience means a cleaner and quicker job and using the correct mix.

hmm it's a lot of money and i guess I'm paying for time rather than skills.

Still undecided at the moment, but thank you again for your advice.

Andy

hmm it's a lot of money and i guess I'm paying for time rather than skills.

Pointing, done well, is a skill. It's worth bearing in mind that bad pointing/staining to brick faces is difficult to remedy and will make your house look awful.

Sponsored Links
I do agree with you guys - it's one of those jobs that you just tend to do - but then I made my mistakes a long time ago and smeared bricks to start:unsure: Haven't done large areas but mostly making good. I guess the best advice I was given was how to shape and control the sausage of pug - and tap the pointing trowel to make the sausage stick. Then leave it to "drug up " before rubbing with the bucket handle . Now it's done with a pointing gun so I'd probably try that in future here @ home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back