1960's concrete house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I know this might be in the wrong section but if I lived in a normal brick house I'd of posted it else where. I live in a 1960's ex-council concrete house (or none standard construction as I've heard them called on TV) the walls of the house are concrete and pebble and stone (not wood or metal) I know this as I've knocked a window into a door. Anyway I want to hang my TV on the wall, I've seen bolts in B&Q for brick walls and plaster board walls but not for a concrete wall, hence why I posted it in this section to get some proper advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How thick are the blocks?. The problem I can see is that there will be steel reinforcing rods within the blocks and they will stop you drilling any deeper if you hit one.
How heavy is the TV and how many fixings ?
Frank

I know some people that live in non standard construction houses and they just use standard fixings like you would use for brick.
they don't seem to have any problems, all id say is make sure you use the correct size drill bit for the fixings and you should be fine

The prince of darkness, it's not slabs, it's like they have built 2 wooden wall an filled the middle with concrete the removed the wood, there is no metal in the concrete, or at least there wasn't in the 6ft bit of wall I knocked out.

Kazuya, thanks for the reply, I'll give that ago.

Sponsored Links
It's probably a Wimpey 'No-Fines' house. These are concrete, but with no fine aggregate (ie sand) in the mix. They are difficult to work with. When drilling into the wall, the drill will often wander off, or hit a hard pebble, and the hole will end up a lot bigger than intended
In that case, get some epoxy adhesive in the (enlarged) hole and support the fixings until the resin has set.

Tony, I've never heard it being referred to a wimpy no fines home, although what you describe has happened a lot, every time I put a curtain pole up for example. I did expect my chimney breast to be brink tho, but when I channeled it out to bury the wire for the TV that was also a stoney concrete mix.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back