Semi gloss / satin

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm after some semi gloss oil based paint in black. Is this he same as satin. I am looking at dulux trade satinwood and am wondering if this is the same as semi gloss.

I am open to suggestions of other brands but need the finish to be semi gloss.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
An arcade machine made from mdf. It's had a primer coat and two coats of johnstones trade undercoat - dark grey.

Sponsored Links
What's the difference between eggshell and satin?

I think I'd rather go with an oil based paint as I will be applying it with a high density foam roller. Am I right in thinking that a water based paint will be harder to apply due to the quicker drying time?

What's the difference between eggshell and satin?

I think I'd rather go with an oil based paint as I will be applying it with a high density foam roller. Am I right in thinking that a water based paint will be harder to apply due to the quicker drying time?

The difference between eggshell and satin is in the degree of sheen. Eggshell is flatter/matter than satin. Typically full gloss paint has about 95% sheen, eggshell about 20% and satin (depending on make) is somewhere in between.

Only apply paint with a roller if you don't mind an orange-peel textured finish. Otherwise, you can apply with a roller but lay off with the tips of an appropriately wide brush whilst still wet.

Water based paint is indeed harder to get a perfect finish with, but it doesn't smell, and the quick drying time means it is less likely to pick up dust, hairs, etc. before it is dry.

That said, F & B oil based eggshell is touch dry within four hours.

Little Greene w/b eggshell is nice too and you can get a brush-stroke free finish if you're careful and are willing to use u/c and at least two topcoats.

Satin has more of a sheen to it, less than gloss though.

What sort of finish are you after? The reason I ask is if you look at a fruit machine for example it has a bit of texture to it. If you was to roll on a water based satin you would get a similar affect.

When researching the paint people use to paint arcade machines it tends to be semi gloss black paint, but most are based in America. That's why I asked what the difference was between this and satin and eggshell.

I don't want a matt finish, I want a bit off a sheen but not too much. When I have applied the undercoat with a high density gloss roller it has left a slight texture to it which I am more than happy with.

I think oil based will be easier for me to apply and harder wearing.

Here is an example of the finish I want, it's probably hard to tell from a picture. First picture.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...oAQ&biw=768&bih=928#biv=i|0;d|rl5Bh1mR5nlRMM:

What do people think......satin or eggshell? Apparently, sadolin semi gloss was used to paint the arcade machine in the picture

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back