Sensor operated lights in HMO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m trying to be more efficient with a property that I let out and as part of that, currently reviewing lighting. I’m finding that lights in kitchens, hallway, landing and bathroom are rarely switched off.

Is it a good idea to have these operating on a sensor and then switching off after a period of inactivity?

Assuming yes, what mechanism do you suggest? I’ve come across integral units that include the light and sensor, ceiling mounted sensors and wall mounted sensors.

I would be grateful for any advice you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Any sensor needs power to work, so there is a trade off, with tungsten lights yes having PIR's helped, but with LED not so cut and dried, a LED lamp which can dim has to allow some current to flow before it lights to allow the dimmer switch, PIR switch, wifi switch etc to work, so typically a bulb which can dim or work with those switches has less lumen per watt output than a non dimable lamp.

Hallway, and landing can use pneumatic timed switches you can have as many switches as you want in parallel so used a lot for common assess areas. They also are only used to walk through so PIR's would also work, again could be more than one, people don't tend to be still in those areas.

Kitchens and bathroom is another story, you can stand, sit, soak with little movement and the PIR will switch off, and working a switch with wet hands is maybe not the best option.

First would be a risk assessment, you have to consider what occupants may be doing when the lights go off, do those lights illuminate the stairs, once you have done a risk assessment you may realise you need battery backed lights on the stairs, so using even more power not less.

Consider what a 10W lamp uses, in general fitting PIR's will cost the environment more than it will save. Often looking at decades as pay back time. And with fluorescent lamps switching on/off can reduce their life, so for hallway, landing and bathroom unlikely to be worth while, for the kitchen where we tend to have a lot more light, you need to consider mutli lights, so assess lights and working lights are independently switched.

I’m trying to be more efficient with a property that I let out and as part of that, currently reviewing lighting. I’m finding that lights in kitchens, hallway, landing and bathroom are rarely switched off.
Don't include electricity in the rent - if the tenants are paying the bills they'll start to take an interest in minimising them.

Sponsored Links
It seems like an impractical approach with a HMO. They will constantly be arguing between themselves!

Thanks for the responses all. I would like to test out a pneumatic switch for hallways.
Can someone recommend one please. Thanks in advance.

Thanks. Is this suitable for LED lights? It only mentions incandescent and fluorescent.

Is there an alternative that you recommend in this situation? I left out the PIR based on earlier comments as it’s constantly consuming electricity

Last edited:
With the pneumatic switches: I think my lighting is looped at the ceiling rose and hence, just a single cable is at the switch: Live, switched live and earth. Is that okay? I wasn’t sure if it needed permanent live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back