Separate circuits for same room.

What about having half a kitchen, and the room directly above that half, on one circuit, and the other half of the kitchen, and the room directly above that half on another. Rooms above are bedrooms and have 4 socket outlets each.

Talking purely socket outlets now, you would have 9 sockets on one circuit, and 7 on the other, but you'd have kitchen and bedroom sockets on the same circuit. Still acceptable?
Who will be signing this:

I being the person responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2015 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

?

Sponsored Links
I put a little coloured dot sticker to show which circuit things are on.

And when you finished in my house I'd go round pulling them all off :)

Not directed at Owain, but how difficult would it be to design a socket that had the equivalent of what network sockets have for labelling on the switch rockers?

Might still look poo though.

And when you finished in my house I'd go round pulling them all off :)
Owain - time to invest in a pack of permanent markers. :LOL:

Not directed at Owain, but how difficult would it be to design a socket that had the equivalent of what network sockets have for labelling on the switch rockers?
I'm sure these people (other similar businesses exist) could engrave "Socket Circuit 1", "Socket Circuit 2" etc on them for you.

What about having half a kitchen, and the room directly above that half, on one circuit, and the other half of the kitchen, and the room directly above that half on another. Rooms above are bedrooms and have 4 socket outlets each.

Talking purely socket outlets now, you would have 9 sockets on one circuit, and 7 on the other, but you'd have kitchen and bedroom sockets on the same circuit. Still acceptable?
Who will be signing this:

I being the person responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2015 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

?

As it is asking for a signature of the designer, then I guess the designer would be signing it.

Sponsored Links
A bloke called john I met in the pub. Said he helped his brother wire a house once and it didn't look too hard, so I thought why not! - he only wants £200 for the job and I do love a bargain. :)

A bloke called john I met in the pub. Said he helped his brother wire a house once and it didn't look too hard, so I thought why not! - he only wants £200 for the job and I do love a bargain. :)
We all do. My mother needed a new wet room. Electrician came and said he would fit a whole new consumer unit instead of a RCD for just wet room for £100 my dad run me up and said what do you think and I said yes for that price why not.

(Do remember this was instead of fitting a separate RCD and fuse)

However I regretted it after. I walked in while he was unsuccessfully trying to get the RCD to hold in. Not a meter in sight he ended up fitting an isolator instead of the RCD promising to return next day. We never saw him again.

I was left with the job of correcting the errors. I was lucky I did have a full test set and I also had the knowledge required to use it locate the fault and correct it. Also since mother was having the work due to her disability there were no Part P charges and the LABC did accept my signature on the installation certificate.

But the so called cheap job often costs more than doing it properly. We have heard on here of £500 bills just to get the work registered with LABC never mind what it cost to get it put right.

Reading the Part P document it says how you can DIY but in real terms that is for some one like me, who is not a scheme member but is an electrician it's not designed so an ordinary person can do the work.

Had I not had the required qualifications I would have been forced to pay an inspector selected by the LABC to check my work. Since the inspector was not part of LABC they could charge extra for his time. And after all that I would not get an installation certificate only a completion certificate so selling the house this could be a problem.

I am sure many could wire there own home but as to if cheaper than getting an electrician that's another question. When my test set when to be calibrated I went to hire one. Charge was £75 per week with a week minimum hire.

So with LABC charges and Inspectors charges and/or hire of test equipment it will likely cost around £700 on top of what you pay for materials. I would estimate to re-wire my house myself will likely cost £2000 and take me around 6 weeks. But to get an electrician likely £3000 and all done in a week. All it would need is a couple of fails with the LABC selected inspector and it costs more than getting a firm in to rewire.

Add a socket or two yes. Anything not requiring notification. But whole rewire even I would think twice.

Sorry Ericmark, I was only taking the ****. As BAS really wants me to say 'myself' and then question if I have qualifications, if my reply to that is 'Yes' he will then question why I am asking these basic questions in the first place, and then recommend I get an electrician to do it, and add some more slander and un helpful snide insults.

Thanks to the few for help, it's appriciated.

Sorry Ericmark, I was only taking the p**s. As BAS really wants me to say 'myself'
Not necessarily.

What I wanted was for you to give a truthful answer, but it appears that you are reluctant to be honest with us.

and then question if I have qualifications
Again no.

if my reply to that is 'Yes' he will then question why I am asking these basic questions in the first place, and then recommend I get an electrician to do it,
Indeed, because given the questions you are asking you are not competent to do the design and could not legitimately make the declaration I quoted above, so if it was your intent to carry out design work I would of course advise getting an electrician instead.

and add some more slander and un helpful snide insults.
And you can put forward a rational and intelligent explanation of why advising you to use an electrician is slanderous, can you?

Thanks to the few for help, it's appriciated.
By "help", do you mean encouraging and facilitating you to do things outwith your competence?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back