Separate eath Cable for shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm having some major work done on the house and so prior to replastering and having a new floor laid I'd like to run a 10mm Twin & earth cable from near my consumer unit to the bathroom, as at some point in the future we plan to have an electric shower installed.

I've heard (not from a reliable source!) that I'll also need to run a separate earth cable from the CU to the bathroom as when/if a new shower is installed the sparky will need to connect this near to the cold water pipe that will feed the shower.

A) Is this true?

B) If it is true what size earth cable will I need to use?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
A) No

much more on
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electric...l_bonding:supplementary_equipotential_bonding

However, there wil need to be an earth wire (10mm G&Y) from the CU to the incoming water main, gas supply, oil pipes and any other metallic services where they enter the house. This is easily done and is not notifiable work, you can do it yourself. It is one of the things an electrician should check for when he is working on your installation.

no not true.

what he is talking about is bonding the elctrical circuits in the bathroom to the water main.take a 4mm earth cable from each circuit(daisy chain)and connect to water main.

you may need to upgrade the main earth,gas,water at the same time.gas from meter or nearest point of entry to property,water main from consumer side of stopcock(provided its a metal installation)

...what he is talking about is bonding the elctrical circuits in the bathroom to the water main.take a 4mm earth cable from each circuit(daisy chain)and connect to water main...

No! not to the water main! To each metal pipe where it enters the bathroom!

Hot water pipe, cold water pipe, iron soil pipe, metal waste pipe (if any), radiator flow, radiator return.

Sponsored Links
...what he is talking about is bonding the elctrical circuits in the bathroom to the water main.take a 4mm earth cable from each circuit(daisy chain)and connect to water main...

No! not to the water main! To each metal pipe where it enters the bathroom!

Hot water pipe, cold water pipe, iron soil pipe, metal waste pipe (if any), radiator flow, radiator return.

so you would bond the lighting cct to the soil stack?

If it were a metallic stack which enters the bathroom from elsewhere, then yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back