Separate RCD for handwash?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps, I'm thinking of putting in a 3KW handwash for a new bog and want it wired to an RCD for safety. There's already a 30mA RCD for a 150w power shower. Could the handwash be wired into that or does it need its own separate one?
Cheers, Reg

Sponsored Links
Well - IF this RCD that you mention is an RCBO (i.e. 18mm. wide device that looks like an ordinary circuit breaker), it supplies nothing but the power shower and has a 16A rating or higher, then you could connect the handwash to it.

It is unlikely that this will be the case unless the power shower is protected by a Fused Switch as well.

A 3 kW device what ever it is, draws around 13 amp, appendix 15 on BS 7671:2008 says
The load current in any part of the circuit should be unlikely to exceed for long periods the current-carrying capacity of the cable (Regulation 433.1.5 refers). This can generally be achieved by:
(i) locating socket-outlets to provide reasonable sharing of the load around the ring
(ii) not supplying immersion heaters, comprehensive electric space heating or loads of a similar profile frog the ring circuit
(iii) connecting cookers, ovens and hobs with a rated power exceeding 2 kW on their own dedicated radial circuit
(iv) taking account of the total floor area being served. (Historically, limit of 100 m² has been adopted.)

So in the main a 3 kW device should be on their own dedicated circuit, however if we look at most homes, we have washing machines, tumble driers, immersion heaters, dish washers, ovens, all over 2 kW and only the immersion heater tends to have a dedicated supply.

Two things we look at, one is how long it draws the power for, and two how close to the centre of a ring final.

At the centre of a ring final any load is even on both legs, but as we get closer to the consumer unit (CU) the load on one leg exceeds the load on the other.

However ring final is the odd one out, we would hope most radial circuits are protected with an overload which will disconnect before the cable over heats. So a 16A or 20A radial even if you over load it, worst case is the overload disconnects it, assuming installed correct to start with.

We split the installation into circuits to avoid hazards and minimize inconvenience in the event of a fault, and to take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit such as a lighting circuit and to reduce the possibility of unwanted tripping of RCDs due to excessive protective conductor currents produced by equipment in normal operation.

A circuit is an assembly of electrical equipment supplied from the same origin and protected against overcurrent by
the same protective device(s), and with a RCD it still measures current imbalance so fitting a RCD creates a circuit. Although not quite in the same way as a MCB or fuse, and even if the RCD is rated 60/83/100 amp it will not disconnect with that load, it needs a fuse or MCB as well.

In the main we install RCD's in series with a increase/decrease of x3 or 1/3, so a board with a 300 mA may feed a few boards with 100 mA and they may in turn feed a few 30 mA which can feed a few 10 mA RCD's. With domestic today we start at 30 mA. The 10 mA RCD's are not very common.

In days gone by we used 100 mA which rarely tripped, so inconvenience was minimized, but when we went to 30 mA it was found often these tripped for what seemed no reason. We should test with the load applied the leakage does not exceed 9 mA, well my clamp on ammeter starts at 100 mA so could not do that if I wanted to. Until amendment 3 we tested at ½ and 5 times rated tripping current, and if the ½ was done with circuits connected then reasonable sure less than 9 mA leakage, also testing with circuits connected would identify if DC was freezing the RCD. However we were told to test with load removed, so this forum is full of people complaining their RCD trips.

The single width RCBO (that's a RCD and MCB combined) removed the problem of nuisance trips. It divided the installation into circuits for both overload and earth leakage.

However this all means when writing in answer on a forum mistakes are easy made, we have active and passive, built into FCU or socket, or part of a plug, built into a consumer unit (CU) either protecting many circuits, or one for each circuit (RCBO) and we have type AC, A, F, B, and S.

Then add to that personal preferences, I have no problem was a type AC RCD with a TN supply as secondary protection, I do with a TT supply however, but that is my personal opinion not what the rule book says.

Years ago the RCD socket was common, I have one to hand a 10 mA version, but as the regulations changed and we had to protect near enough every circuit, these have slowly vanished, but there are still some homes with no RCD protection, so you need to explain what you have so we don't make errors, it is so easy to assume all homes are like your own, but likely few homes have 16 RCBO's and SPD installed, so explain what you have.

Sponsored Links
... appendix 15 on BS 7671:2008 says .... So in the main a 3 kW device should be on their own dedicated circuit, however if we look at most homes, we have washing machines, tumble driers, immersion heaters, dish washers, ovens, all over 2 kW and only the immersion heater tends to have a dedicated supply.
Maybe that's because, as you have illustrated, immersion heaters and ovens are the only ones in your list that (the 'guidance' given in) Appendix suggests are best served by dedicated circuits?

In context of this thread, as you go on to imply, a handwasher will be used for such short periods as to be irrelevant to this discussion. Don't forget that the only actual regulation which the guidance is trying to help one to comply with is ...
BS7671:2018 said:
....... Such [Ring final] circuits are deemed to meet the requirements of Regulation 433.1.1 if the current-carrying capacity (Iz) of the cable is not less than 20 A and if, under the intended conditions of use, the load current in any part of the circuit is unlikely to exceed for long periods the current-carrying capacity (Iz) of the cable.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for those very helpful replies. I appreciate you taking the trouble to respond. It's a Volex RCD (VR25) rated at 25A / 30mA, and it's 35mm wide. The shower does have a fused switch. I'll try to put a photo below.

Attachments

• Volex.jpeg
    Volex.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 48
Next we need to know what rating (Amps) is the device (fuse or circuit breaker) in the consumer unit that controls this circuit.

Thanks EFL. The fused switch has a 3 amp fuse. Then the mcb in the CU is 16 amps. The shower is the only device on this circuit.

Ok, then all is well.

You should connect the hand wash cable directly to output of the RCD or the input of the Fused Connector Unit - assuming the cable from RCD to FCU is not too small for the current.

1mm² T&E or 1.5mm² flex or larger will do if the cable does not pass through any thermal insulation or other suchlike.

It might be a good idea to fit a 20A double pole switch before the handwash in case it develops a fault so you can switch it off and still use the shower.

Fantastic. Thanks very much for that EFL. That's really helpful. Thanks also for the suggestion for the 20A switch, which was going to be my next question. All the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back