Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of replacing a bathroom shower fan with a powerful one which is mains powered 230v IPX4. Currently it's wired to its own switch so it doesn't come on with the lights which is the way I would like to keep it.

The new fan mention the below. The CU is RCD already so do I still need to add a separate RCD spur outside the bathroom or would standard extractor fan isolation be okay?

Description -
The fan requires a 230V 50Hz single phase supply, class II equipment (marked as stated in BS EN 60417). An external 3A fuse and a 30mA RCD is required for each fan unit.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the circuit that the fan is connected to is protected by an RCD ,you don't need another.
What amperage rating is the MCB that protects the circuit ? If it is 6 amp ,I can't see the point of introducing a 3 amp fuse.

More incorrect MI. The fuse is to protect the cable not the fan which should be internally protected. Any cable that requires 3amp protection would be too thin to use.

A separate RCD is not required per fan either.

0.5mm² flexible cable is not "too thin to use".

What on earth do you mean?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back