Separate Spurs or Fused Connection Unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to add some sockets (two doubles) to a cupboard to use for some computer gear. I'd like to house a network switch, PC printer and paper shredder in this but how can I establish how much current these are likely to draw?

Would the above be likely to overload a 13A Fused Connection Unit?

I'd also like an additional socket on the other side of this cupboard where a bedside cabinet is.

Would the latter be better dealing with separately by creating a spur from a separate socket, in case it gets used for hair straighteners or similar at a later date?

Regards
Justin

Sponsored Links
I am trying to see the difference between this question and the one you asked a few days ago - best re-read the answers there.

This is not about how many sockets can be attached to an FCU. This is about whether an FCU is more appropriate or possible without overloading the fuse in this use case, than spurs coming off other separate sockets that haven't already been used for a spur.

Being mindful of what equipment is intended to be used from these sockets I am asking whether this is likely to overload the 13A fuse. This 13A capacity is obviously being shared among the sockets connected to the FCU and therefore less capable when multiple equipment plugged in to more than one socket attached to an FCU, than existing sockets or individual spurs.

The other question concluded with replacing the FCU for a socket as the best solution, whereas I'm now considering whether an FCU would be the most appropriate for this other location.

As the pc printer and network switch would be powered on all the time I would think the FCU would be more appropriate but only if the sum of the current draw from the use case doesn't exceed 13A.

So does anyone know how I can calculate this for the following items please?

24 Port Network Switch
PC Printer
Paper Shredder

Would that leave any headroom for anything else to also be plugged in to one of the sockets connected to the FCU?

As the pc printer and network switch would be powered on all the time I would think the FCU would be more appropriate but only if the sum of the current draw from the use case doesn't exceed 13A. So does anyone know how I can calculate this for the following items please?
24 Port Network Switch
PC Printer
Paper Shredder?
The shredder will presumably only be used very occasionally, for brief periods, so is not much of an issue (unless it's some massive industrial model!). The other two will use far less than 13A (I hesitate to say 'next to nothing').

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The amount of current drawn will be outlined in the manufacturers instructions. Simply add them up.
I can tell you without looking that you will come nowhere near the 13Amp fuse rating you are planning to use.
Each piece of equipment will have its own fuse probably no more than 3Amp for this kit.
Question I raise is why don't you consider using an extension cable rather than going to the mess and inconvenience of adding sockets.
I have two four gang extension cables hooked up to the back of my computer table taking all the equipment I have - never had a fuse blow yet.

So does anyone know how I can calculate this for the following items please?

24 Port Network Switch
PC Printer
Paper Shredder

Yes, you find out the output rating and divide be the voltage rating of each appliance, then you add them together.
If you know or can source the output of you own appliances, this shouldn't be too difficult.

PrenticeBoyofDerry";p="2857921 said:
Yes, you find out the output rating and divide be the voltage rating of each appliance, then you add them together.
I presume you mean the 'power rating' - I'm not sure what the 'output rating' of a network switch, printer or shredder would be :) One problem is that it's quite possible that at least some of these items could well have external power supplies, the ('maximum') 'ratings' of which could be well in excess of the current actually taken when used to power the items concerned.

Whatever, as I've said, I'm sure the current taken by the network switch and printer would be 'negligible' (in relation to 13A) and that the shredder (which probably also has a pretty current requirement) will only be 'on' very occasionally, and therefore is not much of an issue.

Kind Regards, John

He didn't, actually :)

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif

Hi

Thanks for all the responses albeit I didn't understand 'He didn't'?

The shredder is quite a large type but I can't find any power specifications for it other than its plug is fitted with a 13A fuse.

http://www.fellowes.com/gb/en/Products/Pages/product-details.aspx?prod=UK-3245101

The printer I have found the following in its specifications;

Power supply : Universal power adapter (external)
Power requirements :
Input voltage : 100 to 240 VAC (± 10%), 50/60 Hz (± 3Hz)
Output voltage : 32 Vdc at 2000 mA
Power consumption : 30 watts printing (Fast Draft Mode); 32 watts copying (Fast Draft Mode)

I've not purchased the network switch yet but know it will need to be one as large as 24 ports.

Regards
Justin

The amount of current drawn will be outlined in the manufacturers instructions. Simply add them up.
I can tell you without looking that you will come nowhere near the 13Amp fuse rating you are planning to use.
Each piece of equipment will have its own fuse probably no more than 3Amp for this kit.
Question I raise is why don't you consider using an extension cable rather than going to the mess and inconvenience of adding sockets.
I have two four gang extension cables hooked up to the back of my computer table taking all the equipment I have - never had a fuse blow yet.

The network patch panel will terminate inside a cupboard for aesthetic reasons and that it doesn't need to be accessed very often once set up. It makes more sense for the network switch to be located next to the patch panel so that only short patch cables are required to connect the patch panel to the switch. Since I'm putting the network switch in the cupboard its an opportunity to have a clearer desk / working environment by getting the printer and shredder out of the way too. I couldn't run an extension lead into a cupboard without having to have the cupboard door open all the time.

Regards
Justin

Don't worry. That was just a joke about an error in formatting a message which made it appear as if the quote came from the wrong person!
The shredder is quite a large type but I can't find any power specifications for it other than its plug is fitted with a 13A fuse. http://www.fellowes.com/gb/en/Products/Pages/product-details.aspx?prod=UK-3245101[/QUOTE]
The manual for that shredder ( click here ) indicates that the current consumption is 1.7A. However, as I've said, that will only be occasional, and for short periods.
Power consumption : 30 watts printing (Fast Draft Mode); 32 watts copying (Fast Draft Mode)
32W at 230V is about 0.14A - and, don't forget, that only when it is printing or copying. When 'resting' it will be less.
I've not purchased the network switch yet but know it will need to be one as large as 24 ports.
Even for a large one, it won't be much - probably not much more than the printer.

...all in all, as I've said, far less than 13A in total

Kind Regards, John

You could run the extension lead through small hole in the cupboard.

It would mean removing the plug, then put the cable through the hole and then refit the plug.

You could fit a few double surface mount sockets on a piece of 4 by 1 timber to make a bespoke extension lead provided you provide secure clamping of the cable. Each socket is then individually switched. Or if you use singles it is more work but they can be spaced to allow over size wall wart power supplies to be plugged without blocking the adajcent socket.

Don't worry. That was just a joke about an error in formatting a message which made it appear as if the quote came from the wrong person!
The shredder is quite a large type but I can't find any power specifications for it other than its plug is fitted with a 13A fuse. http://www.fellowes.com/gb/en/Products/Pages/product-details.aspx?prod=UK-3245101[/QUOTE]
The manual for that shredder ( click here ) indicates that the current consumption is 1.7A. However, as I've said, that will only be occasional, and for short periods.
32W at 230V is about 0.14A - and, don't forget, that only when it is printing or copying. When 'resting' it will be less.
Even for a large one, it won't be much - probably not much more than the printer.

...all in all, as I've said, far less than 13A in total

Kind Regards, John

Thanks, I must need a new pair of glasses as I didn't see that in the fellows instructions. All in all it looks like I'd be well under 13A then at something around 3.5A for those 3 items which is good news.

Regards
Justin

You could run the extension lead through small hole in the cupboard.

It would mean removing the plug, then put the cable through the hole and then refit the plug.

You could fit a few double surface mount sockets on a piece of 4 by 1 timber to make a bespoke extension lead provided you provide secure clamping of the cable. Each socket is then individually switched. Or if you use singles it is more work but they can be spaced to allow over size wall wart power supplies to be plugged without blocking the adajcent socket.

Two twin sockets will do me nicely and as its the loft bedroom I can access an existing socket to run some t&e to, for the FCU. Having them fitted in the wall will create a neater look.

Regards
Justin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back