Separating heating loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Just had a heating engineer over fixing my combi boiler and asked him a few question about replacing it with a new one and he suggested to split CH loop from the boiler and fit PHE and a pump to avoid contaminating the new boiler from the old pipes/radiators( and therefore any boiler would be functioning much better). Sounds l
ike an interesting idea, but I can't find any places where this set up is discussed.

As I think about it there are a few questions:

• Is it going to reduce efficiency by much?
  • How is pump controlled in these set ups?
  • Are smart control systems like evohome, wise etc able to control CH loop properly?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Nope

Depends

Yes

Comissioned one recently as it happens:

20181128_160640.jpg

It's not common practice though. This example is a large house with a light commercial boiler so I didn't want to risk an expensive repair from a stroppy company engineer.

Sounds promising, so how will heating controls connect to the secondary loop?

Sponsored Links
I'm eyeing up intergas extreme (or may be cheaper intergas). Does it mean that I have to get the set up right from the start or can upgrade controls myself in the future? For example if I initially get some simple thermostat and later upgrade to evohome without rewiring - is that possible specifically with dual loop set up?

I don't know - that's why I'm asking. May be using bdr91 with something other than evohome initially?

I'm not planning to use system one - separate loop will be for CH only. DHW would be supplied from the boiler directly...

At first I'd thought to get a used CM927 with BDR91 now and then just get new evohome binded later when I switch to a new boiler, but I can see I can get a cheap evohome to start with anyway, so will try to do that before moving to a new boiler (that way I'm used to how its supposed to work).

Dan, quick question about the picture - what is the PHE model on it?

Its one we had in stock for ages due to another project changing scope. Can't remember the model but it was huge and was around £700. I would think most houses would be fine on a smaller one. This place was pretty big and drafty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back