seperate 2 lights to 2 seperate switches

jtw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have 2 ceiling lights both controlled by the same switch, and want to control them separately. i can't think of a method that doesn't involve chasing new cables into the wall & ceiling, which i'd love to avoid! any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yup - just have the cables clipped to the surface of the walls and ceiling - no chasing required!

Sorry - I suppose you'd like a more helpful suggestion..

The trouble is, that if you want separate switching, you have to have separate cabling.

Have you looked at the switch? You never know, it might just be that the cabling is already there, and that at some time a previous occupant has decided he didn't want to control them separately.

But if not you're probably stuffed. Depending on how the switch cable is installed, you might be able to pull it out and replace it with 3-core & earth - one core for live feed, and then two switched lives. It's an unusual usage, but I think it'd be allowed.

The stuff in the ceiling will be a real problem - if you can't get access from above, then trying to get all the new junction boxes and cable runs up there can't be done without cutting at least some access holes in the plasterboard, and that's assuming that you can fish cables from one place to another - Sod's Law dictates that the joists will run the wrong way..

thanks - i've checked the switch and there is one red and one black cable, so I assume they're wired in parallel/series.

if this was the case, could i not use the flex going from switch to nearest light to pull through 2 more cables (through the ceiling down to the switch), then link one to the nearest light and one to the cabling going to the other light. then install a double switch?

Sponsored Links
The cables in the switch are the live and switched live (black should have a red band to indicate this). This will only be connected to the first ceiling rose. The second rose will be wired in parallel to the first from the lamp connectors. As ban says, the problem is getting the switch cable to the second rose. It's unlikely that you will be able to pull through 2 cables without is catching somewhere.

if you can replace the switch drop with 3 and earth you could use a 6 terminal junction box

then the red of the 3 and earth carries the permanent live to the switches and the blue and yellow carry 2 seperate switched lives back

then you connect the lights to the approprite switched lives (and the neutral and earth ofc) in the 6 terminal junction box

Ban

It would be allowed as long as all conductors are correctly labelled as to their function.

Sorry, should be a little clearer - by labelled I mean marking with sleeving or tape of the correct colour for the conductor's function.

Ie black for neutral, red for live, g/y for earth.

FYI, i got an electrician in to do the job, now i've just got some large holes in my walls and ceiling! (and independently working lights...)

jtw said:
thanks - i've checked the switch and there is one red and one black cable, so I assume they're wired in parallel/series.
Can't be both, now, can it?

jtw said:
FYI, i got an electrician in to do the job, now i've just got some large holes in my walls and ceiling!
Could have done it yourself if you wanted that.... :confused:

ban-all-sheds said:
jtw said:
]FYI, i got an electrician in to do the job, now i've just got some large holes in my walls and ceiling!
Could have done it yourself if you wanted that.... :confused:

you and i know what to do.

Sorry - sounded at the start as though jtw knew what to do but didn't want holes in the walls & ceilings...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back