Septic Tank (photo attached)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably another silly question, but how do i identify what type/make of septic tank we have in our new house?

We've had some flooding issues around the house and i want to understand how our tank works if i have to pump it (or anything else)

What i can see: There is one central large pipe standing 2 foot approx 45" in diameter with lid, either side of this are two brown pipes with cages on top, then about 1.5 foot from the main central pipe are two shorter pipes with lids.

Any idea what type is it under ground?
Photo attached.

Thanks,
Gem
20151230_103113.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks Nige F, when i look up "onion" tanks, i can't see what the two black pipes in my photo are for?

Sponsored Links
Under normal circumstances, the clarified effluent should flow out the tank, and into a soakaway system, whereby it percolates into the ground. However, if the water table is high, (or higher than usual), the outflow cannot disperse and can cause the surrounding ground to become waterlogged. Technically, pumping out anything from a septic tank or cesspit is illegal unless you are a licenced disposal contractor, but as long as you dont alert the authorities, (Environment Agency), or pollute anything then no one will be any the wiser I'm sure.

Don't think about it, where are you going to pump it to? Its probably 4000 litres of the most disgusting and poisonous effluent. If you have a problem with a high water table then the last thing you do is to pump it out as the large plastic bubble will do its best to float out of the ground and break the pipes.
Just dig new soak a way and T it into the existing one in the inspection chamber.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back