septic tank problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, got a bit of a head scratcher.I have an old block built septic tank that at the moment just runs directly to a ditch, not ideal.The problem is what to do instead as as far as i can see i have no way of meeting all the regulations criteria for any system of discharging.Not much space at the front of the house so too close to the building, boundary and a ditch for a soakaway and the land behind slopes up quite steeply.If i was to install a treatment plant my understanding is i still cannot discharge to the ditch even after treatment so im at a bit of a loss what to do as im worried if i ask sepa (scotland) what they recommend they may insist that the discharge is stopped and condemn the house as unfit for habitation.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
From what iv read a cess pit is more like a money pit needing emptied every few weeks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A packaged treatment plant, if maintained correctly, (and looked after in terms of what's put into it!), should produce a final effluent of acceptable quality to be discharged into the ditch.

I'd recommend looking at the Klargester Biodisc, a simple but effective design, and probably thousands of various shapes and sizes in operation up and down the country. As long as it is desludged and serviced as required, it should give you many years of trouble free service. https://www.kingspan.com/gb/en-gb/products/wastewater-management/domestic-sewage-treatment-plants

A cesspit is simply a holding tank, and will need emptying very frequently, a complete non starter unless every other avenue has been exhausted.

Apparently cesspits are illegal in scotland so thats not even a last resort option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back