Septic tank registration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I completed and returned a registration form over a year ago, but have heard nothing since. The EA website says they are obliged to confirm or reject within 3 weeks - does this mean my registration has been accepted by default?

I am reluctant to rock the boat, but naturally want to comply with regulations so far as they are compulsory (Wales, not England).

I have been advised that an existing functioning septic tank only has to comply with the specifications in force at its date of installation. Ours was probably installed when the house was built in 1875, so presumably is fully compliant with the then regulations, if any!

There was a worried flurry of agitation among rural home owners when this topic was in the news a year ago, and the advice was to register while it was free and then keep our heads down. Has anyone any further news on what is supposed to be happening, or is this issue now in the long grass?

Sponsored Links
The 2010 registration procedure was withdrawn before it got off the ground and has been under review ever since. You can still register but it is optional. The EA website (last updated 4 Feb 12) says the new procedure will be announced in the 'next few weeks'. But I can tell you it has said that for about 6 months now. I don't know about your missing registration. Chase them up - there's nothing to lose.

You can enquire as to wether there is a registration at your address under Freedom of Info. Just phone the EA up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back