serious pressure problem on Ravenheat rsf 82e...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I'll try to summarise this to make it easier to understand and answer.

Yesterday I added some Wickes Inhibitor via filling loop attachment as there was almost none in the system. Once that was placed in the pressure rose from about 1.5 bar cold to 1.8. I then put c/h on to flow it around and pressure got to 2.5 bar and i turned boiler off and opened some rad valves to get it back to 1.5 (even though it had just switched off)

I also let some air out of the expansion vessel to check there was no water coming out and that was fine but last night once the c/h had got up to temp it kept cycling between: fan on, burners off, on for 10 sec then off again for 15.

I've now got up this morning and the pressure has dropped to almost 0 bar!

Before anyone says there are no leaks they're aren't, this must be something to do with the draining of rads when just turned off, letting air out expansion vessel or something else..

So basically how do I sort this. Do I re-pressurise via the filling loop to about 1.3 cold or pump up the expansion vessel with a bike pump ( to what pressure).

Any more information required please let me know.

Regards

BW

Sponsored Links
just an update on the situation.

With the boiler being off all night and cold and pressure at almost 0 bar as mentioned on last post. I pressurised the system to 1.2 bar and then turned on the boiler. The boiler pressure is now about 1.7 bar and all rads are working fine. However I looked outside at the PRV pipe? It's got to be that as it's not a condensing boiler so not a condesate drain and i could see water dripping from the pipe. The pressure is only at 1.7 bar so what's it leaking out there for?

Any replies would be seriously welcome.

Regards

BW

just an update on the situation.

With the boiler being off all night and cold and pressure at almost 0 bar as mentioned on last post. I pressurised the system to 1.2 bar and then turned on the boiler. The boiler pressure is now about 1.7 bar and all rads are working fine. However I looked outside at the PRV pipe? It's got to be that as it's not a condensing boiler so not a condesate drain and i could see water dripping from the pipe. The pressure is only at 1.7 bar so what's it leaking out there for?

Any replies would be seriously welcome.

Regards

BW

At least you will no kill yourself as you might if you let the pressure out of your car tyres!

The pressure is in the EXV for a purpose. Refil to about 0.9 Bar but it MUST be done as it says in the FAQ. It will take about 30 pumps of a single cylinder footpump!

Then repressurise system from 0.0 Bar to 1.5 Bar, then sit back and thank me with the thanks button.

By the way its not my fault if you dont follow the FAQ properly.

The PRV leaks a bit because you over pressurised the system and there is some dirt on the valve seat. Clicking it about five times might help it. It will probably stop after about 2-5 days.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I'll follow the FAQ and your instructions to the letter and let you know what happens.

Thanks agile.

BW

Ignore the bit in the FAQ about removing a further 10 litres. All you need to do is ensure the system is open to the atmosphere when you pump up the air.

I dont write the FAQs !

Tony

Just a quick point agile before I get my bits..

You mentioned about clicking the pressure relief valve. Do you mean open all the way & close and I understood this was bad to do and could mean it would leak or do you mean a different way.

Regards

BW

If its already leaking at 1.7 Bar then there is dirt on the seat of the valve.

Clicking it is turning it until it clicks.

Doing that when pressurised might wash the dirt off the seat.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back