service book

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently went to a car supermarket, bought a car, but when it came to handover the service book is missing (the one they tried to give me had a stamp at 11000 miles but the car has only done 10000.)

So does this de-value the car? Bearing in mind it is a 62 plate Citroen DS4, so not a cheap car by any means. The place I bought it from just give me blank looks whenever I mention any kind of discount so I'm going to put my grievances (there are others) in writing to their head office. Just want something to back up this arguement. How much should I be looking to get knocked off the value?

Sponsored Links
Ask Citroen for any service records they have (the car may not have seen a garage yet though) and see if they can get you a replacement.
When you trade in, the garage will always try to knock you down for the lack of history - but if the car is a few years old it doesn't matter anyway.
Its the oldest trick in the motor trade book!
John :)

Why not contact the manufacturer, they may give you a new book & you can start from scratch, which would be better than nothing.

The car is still with them - I didn't get it home and the engine light came on, turned it back around and left it with them. Really not happy with them right now. They haven't given my old car back, nor given me a courtesy car (claiming they are all out).

Sponsored Links
Make sure you get the details of the repair, Steve.....if they don't find anything (they won't admit that anyway) it'll come back to haunt.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you know the mileage on the vehicle is genuine with no service history attached to the vehicle? You hardly took the salesman as genuine, did you?
In my opinion books don't just go missing they are lost for a reason, usually due to high mileage, but that's just me.
Well that's what they would say to me, if I went in to part exchange.

Hopefully that wasn't the book belonging to the car that had the 11000 miles stamped in? If you get a chance look at the VIN number on the book, see if its the same as your car?

I understand this place (carshop) has a contract with Citroen whereby their rep's old cars are sent straight to carshop to be sold - the car is a 62 plate on 10,000 miles. I have no way of guaranteeing this, but I doubt a large company like carshop would be tinkering with mileages.

What I do think they do is leave the engine running out the back until it only has 20 miles of diesel left in the tank prior to delivery. Both DS4s I looked at were running on fumes.

And whats to stop them buying from Citroen at 20000 miles? Coming back in from airport hire, are they?

The V5 log sheet will determine how many owners the car has had - hopefully one at Citroen UK.
These vehicles are often traded on before the first service is due, and you can expect the mileage to be genuine.....but if its been in the trade a few times, you can't.

Sponsored Links
Back