Service cable dangerously shallow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in contact with my DNO (Western Power) to have my electric meter moved 0.5m to the right of it's current position. They did not believe the service cable would need cutting/extending and did quoted £135 for the work. I have agreed to arrange the contestable work myself and have begun digging down to expose the cable in preparation for their visit.

To my surprise, after digging down only 200mm, I exposed the top of the service cable. It was unprotected (no ducting) and surrounded by sharp stones and broken clay/ceramic pipe. The property is a 1960's semi bungalow. The meter is digital, so has obviously been replaced at some point. The square I have dug down was covered with tarmac, whereas the rest of the surrounding area is concrete. I suspect this cable is not original to the house and was replaced when the meter was changed.

I believe current standards are the cable should be 530mm below ground. If the DNO insist the cable is corrected, then who is responsible for paying for it? Will I be made to pay, or will the DNO pay as it's (in my opinion) unsafe?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 220
Sponsored Links
You won't have to pay as it belongs to the DNO. It will be their decision as to whether it is safe or not and if they are going to do anything about it.
Personally I'd say if it's under Tarmac and not in an area to be dug (eg not under a garden or lawn) then I'd say although not strictly speaking correct, not immediately dangerous.

I believe current standards are the cable should be 530mm below ground.
Which standards are those? There are recommended depths given in the Wiring Regulations but those apply to inside premises.

The DNOs operate to their own rules for cable routing. Mostly covered by the fact that all service routes in the ground (water, gas and others too) are planned and documented.
Thats why contractors & groundworkers get the plans, and use detectors before they get the digger out.
A 200mm depth is not uncommon.

Sponsored Links
AFAIK the guidance from the NJUG is 450mm.
ISTR that's correct - but, as westie is always telling us, no matter what depth (relative to 'ground level') they bury it at, there's no real guarantee that 'ground level' will always remain the same (although one hopes/assumes that it was never above the DOC :) ).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all your info. My main concern was that they would charge me to have it corrected, if it was considered dangerous. The cable is under a driveway and although this will be dug up and replaced in the near future, its not likely to be dug up often.

I got the 530mm from WPD's guide on moving your electricity supply, where it states "The [hockey] stick must be surface mounted with the bend 530mm below ground level". I had assumed this was the standard and not their own rule.

The 530 on the hocly stick takes into account bending radius.

Yes 450 is the suggested minimum depth, so you could well get an arrangement with the DNO to get it corrected

And as for dangerously, a read of HS(G) 47 Avoiding Danger from Underground Services always makes a good read.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg47.pdf

But bear in mind even that acknowledges that depths can be inaccurate owing to level changes after cables are laid.
Use the advice (like this) given, not what you think is the case. There have been cases where people have been injured from shallow cables & the injured person's employer has been the one ending up in court!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back