Service light

M

malcolmX

I have got an 06 Nissan Kubistar with 28k on the clock, the orange service light has been coming on for about two weeks, there are two orange lights, one says SERV and the other depicts a figure with a seat belt over its shoulders.
If you turn the ignition on while not wearing a seat belt it will show a RED figure with a belt over the shoulders.
if you are sat in the drivers seat and put the belt on the RED seatbelt warning light goes out.
But if you are in the passenger seat and you put the belt on the RED light does not go off? thereby indicating a problem.
I am led to believe that the orange figure with a belt over its shoulders indicates a seatbelt/airbag electrical problem.
I have had the vehicle serviced this morning and the garage told me I would have to take it back for investigation at extra cost.
The Nissan Kubistar is the same as the Renault Kangoo with slight differences, any help or idea's appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Don't understand why the garage didn't put forward an explaination?

My guess is that the passenger airbag is deactivated, due to a child carrying seat?

My guess is that the passenger airbag is deactivated, due to a child carrying seat?
Hi Mick,
When the service light lit up I took it for service at a cost of £175, the mechanic said there was a fault on the wiring loom to the airbag on the steering wheel. The nearside electric window would not work from the drivers side although it worked from the nearside control, the mechanic told me to fetch the van back the following week to check it out further.
A mechanic in our street told me that the seat belts are somehow connected to the airbag, I fiddled about with the seat belt fittings and found that they had some kind of wiring connected to them, I squirted some WD40 on the connections and then tried the window switch, I could hear a whirring sound, i kept playing about with it and eventually it started working and then the service light went out and stayed out, not really happy with the fact that the garage gave me the van back with the service light still on, everything appears to be ok now.

The seatbelt may have pre-tensioners which are a small pyrotechnic device. I wouldn't advise touching these unless you know what you are doing and take special precautions.

Sponsored Links
Yes my mate the mechanic told me that they were some kind of explosive device, so I will leave well alone, the nearside window is now ok and the service light has gone out, thanks for your advice lads.

some manufacturers use a pressure pad system in their seats to tell the system when a passenger is present to enable the airbag, it may be something worth researching

kangoos(and deviratives) have trouble with airbag connector under drivers seat. Usually a very quick fix.IGNITION OFF KEY OUT split the plugs under the seat and clean with electical cleaner. Allow to dry and reconnect-should be ok. If problem persists then the plug is generally cut out and and wiring connectors fitted to bypass the plug

Hi Mick,
When the service light lit up I took it for service at a cost of £175, the mechanic said there was a fault on the wiring loom to the airbag on the steering wheel. The nearside electric window would not work from the drivers side although it worked from the nearside control, the mechanic told me to fetch the van back the following week to check it out further.
A mechanic in our street told me that the seat belts are somehow connected to the airbag, I fiddled about with the seat belt fittings and found that they had some kind of wiring connected to them, I squirted some WD40 on the connections and then tried the window switch, I could hear a whirring sound, i kept playing about with it and eventually it started working and then the service light went out and stayed out, not really happy with the fact that the garage gave me the van back with the service light still on, everything appears to be ok now.

I would not be happy paying that cash out, and having to spray WD40 into airbag equipment connections. You say the nearside control didn't work, but I think mistakenly say, the nearside controls worked? OK I admit it, I've hit the nearside down button, then hit the override on offside, then panicked when the nearside doesn't work again. I believe that's the issue there, we've all done that.

And the orange seatbelt light on dash doesn't indicate an airbag fault, but an override, maybe the seatbelt was plugged in with no passenger, or it WAS set for a babyseat, only you know. If you admit it, or prefer not to, every right not to tell, but I tell you, I've been there, done that! A faulty airbag circuit would result normally with a flashing red symbol, that can be enabled/disabled as required. And fault read.

I didn't find out for example on my car that I had a wheel chock in the boot for 3 years, or that I had two drinks holders stored within the central console for 4 years....

If I'm wrong - fine, but if right, just say you messed up, we have all done it.

Hi Mick,

I would not be happy paying that cash out, and having to spray WD40 into airbag equipment connections. You say the nearside control didn't work, but I think mistakenly say, the nearside controls worked? OK I admit it, I've hit the nearside down button, then hit the override on offside, then panicked when the nearside doesn't work again. I believe that's the issue there, we've all done that.

And the orange seatbelt light on dash doesn't indicate an airbag fault, but an override, maybe the seatbelt was plugged in with no passenger, or it WAS set for a babyseat, only you know. If you admit it, or prefer not to, every right not to tell, but I tell you, I've been there, done that! A faulty airbag circuit would result normally with a flashing red symbol, that can be enabled/disabled as required. And fault read.

I didn't find out for example on my car that I had a wheel chock in the boot for 3 years, or that I had two drinks holders stored within the central console for 4 years....

If I'm wrong - fine, but if right, just say you messed up, we have all done it.
Mick,
Being a van it has not been set for a child seat, at first it was an intermittant fault then failed to operate from the offside control, whatever the problem it seems to have sorted itself out now, case of keeping fingers crossed.

I understand that, but it might be a car based van...but I 'suggest' ideas..

I understand that, but it might be a car based van...but I 'suggest' ideas..
This van has only got 28K on the clock, its in good nick and I use it for my part time work (retired) the money I earn pays for the vans keep and also pays my expenses when we go out in our VW motorhome, these are now going to be the last vehicles that I buy, so its a case of keeping both of them in good order.

Sponsored Links
Back