Service Provider Earth Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst helping out a friend of mine, I noticed that his main electrical supply does not include an earth connection from the service provider.

He has had his old rubber wiring replaced bit by bit over a 25 year period, by many different people as funds permitted. However it appears that little attention has been given to the earthing. There is a 6mm cable from the cu connected to the water main where it enters the house, and there is an earth rod under the lounge floor (in damp/wet soil) connected by 10mm cable to the cu. None of the circuits are protected by an RCD.

I know this needs upgrading, but my question is: Does the service provider have a responsibility to provide a earth connection?

Sponsored Links
The short answer is no.

He has a TT supplied system and earth is via the earth ro, the mas of earth and the providers earthing at the sub station.
What is worrying is the lack of a RCD.
All TT suplied installations MUST be protected by 100mA RCD at the origin, this should be addressed immediately.

But if asked, they probably will provide one

24.4 of the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity regulations, 2002 states:

Unless he can reasonably conclude that it is inappropriate for reasons of safety, a distributor shall, when providing a new connection at low voltage, make available his supply neutral conductor or, if appropriate, the protective conductor of his network for connection to the protective conductor of the consumer's installation.

but then you have 24.5 which says:
In this regulation the expression "new connection" means the first electric line, or the replacement of an existing electric line, to one or more consumer's installations.

So as far as I can interpret this, they are under no obligation to give you an earth connection to an existing supply (but as JohnD says, they probably will) If not, you are limited to installing an earth rod and having a TT system

Sponsored Links
As mentioned before they only provide a PME for a new connection they wont go around all the old TT supplys and upgrade them.

But more importantly you must get a suitable RCD fitted as it is extremely dangerous as it is.

But two things to keep in mind if you want to upgrade your supply..

1. you may not be able to get a PME supply
2. If you can they will charge you for it...

PS: get an RCD fitted

Thanks for your replies. Wil contact the supply company to see what they say. Question is, how do you know who the supply company is now? Is it the company that send the bill, or do they just sell electricity?

Notice your in nottinghamshire, not certain, but there is a good chance that it's central networks

if it is, they will PME it for £75 as long as its safe to do do, and I think they also fit MEM DP 100A Isolators free of charge if you ask them

If you aren't sure who to contact, ring the customer service number on the bill. The people who sell you the electricity have a duty to handle your prob and liase with other service companies that they will have contracts with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back