No Main Earth Connection

I've certainly seen wooden power poles with a copper strap running down the side and going into the ground, in this semi-rural area.

To me, it would make sense that they were the "M" in PME

Sponsored Links
I've certainly seen wooden power poles with a copper strap running down the side and going into the ground, in this semi-rural area. To me, it would make sense that they were the "M" in PME
Seemingly quite possible.

As I've said, "PME" is a characteristic of the local LV distribution network, not of how consumers (or their electricians) chose to earth their installations. I think it's probably terminologically correct to say that I have a 'PME supply' but a TT installation.

Kind Regards, John

Seemingly quite possible.

As I've said, "PME" is a characteristic of the local LV distribution network, not of how consumers (or their electricians) chose to earth their installations. I think it's probably terminologically correct to say that I have a 'PME supply' but a TT installation.

Kind Regards, John

Correct, it is. PME is not synonymous with TN-C-S, TN-S, TT or any other arrangement.

Sponsored Links
when I had a house with a 1920's supply cable in outer London, looking like the OP's, there was a wound-on steel "bandage" armour (which went rusty in the ground, might originally have had bituminous paint), and a bituminous cloth bandage, inside which was a lead sheath with two conductors (I have an idea they might have been wax-paper insulated).

An electrician had previously incorrectly put a pipe clamp on the armour, but when a new meter was fitted, the iron service-head was replaced with modern grey plastic, the fitter stripped back the armour and put an earth clip on the lead sheath. I had an idea they would change it to PME, but I don't think they did. I wrote and asked if they would, and they said yes, but only if I had an EICR done first.

I think the iron head originally provided some kind of earth as it must have clamped the steel armour and the lead sheath.

This stuff?
upload_2021-2-25_15-15-1-jpeg.224367

Cotton & rubber red and black, waxy paper, lead, pitch, spiral steel, hessian/pitch

Had a visit from a UK Power Networks engineer today, he checked the earth in the flat downstairs and found a fault in the cable there. He fixed it and my flat is all good now.

But when he was bonding my earth I asked him what type of earth it was, TN or TN-S or TN-C-S or something else, he replied "it is a standard straight earth"...

a) He is a not a trained Electrical Engineer

b) He was too tired to answer my question

Had a visit from a UK Power Networks engineer today .... But when he was bonding my earth I asked him what type of earth it was, TN or TN-S or TN-C-S or something else, he replied "it is a standard straight earth"...
Oh dear :)

What do you mean when you say that he was "bonding your earth"?

Kind Regards, John

The definition he was using may not be what we as sparks understand it.

Bonding could be the general definition:

the action of joining things securely by means of adhesive, heat, or pressure or by chemical bonds.

We know from the picture of the cutout that the earth connection to the DNO cable sheath was pants, so he would have had to "bond" (the above definition) the earthing conductor to the cable sheath.

His reply "straight" could refer to the cable type, but for the fact that the supply cable feeding your flat isn't straight concentric cable.

I'm not sure what he means.

Did he tell you the Ze?

Sometimes it is written on the board near the cutout.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
The definition he was using may not be what we as sparks understand it. Bonding could be the general definition: ....
Indeed so - which is why I asked the OP what he was describing by 'bonding'. As you imply, it probably was not 'bonding' in the electrician's sense.
His reply "straight" could refer to the cable type, but for the fact that the supply cable feeding your flat isn't straight concentric cable. I'm not sure what he means.
Quite so - I think we're all in that position.

I suspect that the guy either "didn't have a clue" or else that he is a poor communicator!

Kind Regards, John

it looks like he's dribbled some solder on. Is that copper foil? or yellow/brown paper?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back