Question concerning main earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have discovered that the main earth connection in my newly purchased house is via the main water pipe.
I contacted my DNO and they can provide me with a sweated on joint on the supply cable for £147.00.

Is this my best option for a good earth connection or would it be better for me to get an electrician to install me an earth rod?

thanks

olneys

Sponsored Links
it is a lot better than an earth rod.

Not much of a bargain, though.

I have a feeling your DNO is EDF.

How old is the house, and what about the age of the other houses in teh road?

Are you absolutely positive that the only connection is to the water pipe? There should be a connection to water/gas/oil pipes and then you should have another conductor going to an earth rod.

If you are sure that the only connection from your main earthing terminal is to your water pipe then you currently have a potentially unsafe, and totally unsuitable earthing arrangement which you need to get sorted immediately. As your network operator can supply you with a TN-S earthing arrangement I would definately get on the phone and arrange that work to be done ASAP but in the mean time you will need an effective method of earthing your installation so you should get an electrician in to fit a temporary earth rod.

How on earth do they "sweat" a joint on, surely its soldered on?

Or is the DNO guy just going to sweat a lot when he does it? :D

Sponsored Links
My DNO just wrap a springy steel band around the incommer (The sort of band you get in a SWA resin joint)

Between the cable and the band they fit a flat braided tinned copper lead to the MET, and then cover this in insulating tape.

They do not solder a wire on anymore

:LOL:

newTN-Sclamp-1.jpg

IMGP2044.jpg

can you show us how the steel band works?

Errrm I'll try

SWJK2.JPG

You can see the springy things in the left of this picture.

It is similar to a retracted tape measure.

On the left of the front spring, you can see the end of the spring. This will end up in the middle of the spring when you have done.

You start by opening this lip out and wrapping it roung the cable. At this point, it looks like the shape of an old 110 camera film case.

You just wrap this round the cable maybe five or six tomes, depending on the diameter of the cable. Then twist the spring as if you were doing up a keyless chuck. The spring locks onto the cable and its self, and does not unravell due to its springy construction.

I assume the DNOs apply a bit of tape to stop anyone removing it, or incase it becomes loose or something.

can you get one without buying the kit? my old mum has a :oops: pipe clip :oops: (not by me)

I'm not sure. I expect you can from somewhere, but I don't know their proper name, and I have never had cause to use them for anything else.

(sorry)

Chaps

Thanks for all your replies, very much appreciated.

-main water pipe is certainly the main earth connection
-EDF are my DNO and they have given me a 6 week lead time
-JohnD\the house was built in 1935 and all the other houses in the road were built at the same time

Hope the EDF chap sweats for his £147.00 :LOL:

cheers

olneys

Thats very useful.

I shall set to work with google now, and see if I can find a UK online supplier.

I can see them being quite useful every now and again. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back