Service unvented cylinder as part of annual boiler service

FYI incoming water in winter I usually find around 8-12C, thats in hertfordshire

Sponsored Links
i measured the incoming temp the other wk (to prove to a cust there combi was producing the right temp rise) n it was 7c
Donkmeister id keep with the unvented ;)

donk... safety checks on the unvented dont cost any extra with us. i shouldnt think thered be any extra cost with anyone else either, unless youb havev different folks for the boiler and the tank.

plus you wont have the extra cost and noise of shower pumps.

Just checked my kitchen cold tap and the temp settled at 8.9°C, so may be 15°C was a bit optimistic. I believe combi boilers have their DHW flow rated for a temperature rise of 35°C. So a temperature of 40°C at the stated flow would only be achievable if the input temp was 5°C or greater - unless, of course, you turn the flow down.

Why anyone would want to stay in a shower for 45 minutes with the water pouring out at 20 litres per minute is beyond me. That's 900 litres of water gone down the drain. And I thought the idea of a shower was to save water not squander it.

Sponsored Links
I have seriously considered a combi, but when I did the maths and thought about overall system reliability a combi doesn't stack up for me...

What maths have you done? Odd maths. Reliability? Who told you?

I would like around 20 litres a minute from the shower. I want that in all weathers, so let's assume the incoming temperature is 0 celsius and the showerhead temp is 40 celsius.

Try a W-Bosch 550. 25 litres/min. That is 20 litres/min "mixed".

The power required to raise 20 litres a minute by 40 celsius is 56kW. I've seen plenty of combis in the 30-38kW range, but that will only give me 12 litres a minute or so. That's not a bad shower, but that's 15+ minutes to fill a bath and it rules out a coliander head or bodyjets in winter.

Want body jets ? Look at a Rinnai multi-point or Ethos 54C
http://www.ethosboilers.co.uk/products_54c.php

Or a Rinnai Twinflow:
http://www.rinnaiuk.com/Updates-18-09-08/A4 Twin Flow.pdf

Cylinders can't compete, unless it is around 600 litres.

With a 200 litre cylinder at 60 celsius, and an incoming temperature of 0 celsius I can have that 40 celsius shower at 20 litres a minute for 15 minutes. 300 litres of water in all.

The average incoming water cold weather temp in winter is 10C

Additionally, I'd like the option to add alternate heat sources in future. I'd like to be able to have that 300 litre shower with less guilt! Finally, all boilers break down, but at least with a cylinder I'll have an immersion as back-up and can employ the services of a more leisurely repairman rather than a 24 hour emergency plumber! ;)

If you are obsessed with having stored water because a bunch of bathroom changers misguided you, then go for a heat bank. This not a direct comparison to an unvented cylinder. It is much more and gives CH buffer, something that bathroom changers can't understand. It is also about the same price so great value.

http://www.advanceappliances.co.uk/gas_or_oil_thermal_store_systems.html

Why anyone would want to stay in a shower for 45 minutes with the water pouring out at 20 litres per minute is beyond me. That's 900 litres of water gone down the drain. And I thought the idea of a shower was to save water not squander it.

That is a 800 to 900 litre cylinder which is commercial sized. That costs an arm and leg and needs its own outhouse.

A high flow shower (body jets). The only way to do it effectively is via instantly heating water. Then take into account the cost of installation and no contest. The figures are so obvious.

Don't know if there would be a big difference with the country side, but in london the incoming water never seems to go below 8C even in a week of continuous frost.

What maths have you done? Odd maths. Reliability? Who told you?

"Overall system" reliability is what I'm after. If a combi boiler breaks down, you're out of luck. But, if a system boiler breaks down, and your hot tank has an immersion, you have a backup. It's me engineering background, you see. I used to calculate MTBFs of large complex systems (not water-related) so I need to have a "reversionary mode" :LOL:

As to spending 45 minutes in the shower: I'm talking about 15 minutes in the shower, tops! :LOL: That won't be every day, but it's nice to have the option. That "only" requires a 200 litre store. Plus it will be quicker to run baths. Plus I'll have an easier upgrade route to renewables in the future as I'll have the option of solar water heating using the second coil.

Of course, any flavour of mains-pressure system is all academic until I get my incomer upgraded: I haven't tested flow or pressure yet but a 15mm incomer seems a bit weak for such a system. Hopefully I'm wrong! :LOL:

And at the end of all this, the clincher will be one factor: price. When it comes to replacement time, I'll go for the best system I can afford from the most competent installer.

If price is an issue, start looking in another direction.
For a well performing unvented you will need: good boiler, good cylinder, renewed mains all the way to the street connection, and a good installation.
you are looking at over 5 grand.

as for the backup when the boiler fails, surely you would not be one of those people who think a morris minor is better than a lexus because a lexus does not have a hand crank to start it when the battery fails?

I can't believe such a simple post is still going on with inane replys :rolleyes:

Hi I'm James
I wouldn't waste your time or mine servicing your un-vented
Heating system for £30.00 I wouldn't insult you.

With un-vented systems you must have good mains pressure. and economy 7 or 10 then hopefully plentyfull of hot water.

When I see people slagging off heatings systems, I usually assume they are just looking for work? lol

James G3 unvented Heating Engineer
Manchester.

holy-thread-revival-batman.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back