Unvented Cylinder - annual service?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Recently moved into a property with a 210l Santon Premier Direct Unvented Cylinder which was installed in 2008.

My question is, how often do these units require servicing/inspection?

There is a Benchmark record attached to the user manual; apart from the initial comissioning bit, nothing else has been filled in. I can't seem to find any definitive information online either.

The lanlord told me it's an 'electric boiler' so only needs looking at every 5 years but I don't buy into that!

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
They should be serviced annually, although there's no legal requirement that I'm aware of. Having said that, failure to service will invalidate the 25-year warranty

They should be serviced annually, although there's no legal requirement that I'm aware of. Having said that, failure to service will invalidate the 25-year warranty

Yup +1

They have safety systems that if faulty can turn an un-vented hot water cylinder (not an electric boiler) into an explosive device that could easily destroy a house.
Just google un-vented cylinder explosion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61uDmQF5I2E
These systems need tested by qualified engineers to ensure they are effective, this is recommended by most manufacturers to be done, as muggles mentioned, yearly but not mandatory.
Unfortunately though, I guess it will take another 1 or 2 more accidents before it becomes law I reckon.

Different story from a landlords perspective though, his legislation is tighter. I reckon you could argue about getting an inspection done, if you paint the picture correctly, if there's genuine concern about the installation.

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys. Need to convince my landlord to get it done. I have an email from Santon stating an annual service is recommended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back