servicing unvented cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am thinking of having an unvented cylinder installed, i have been told it needs to be serviced yearly. Can anyone comment on the average cost for a service, and do most of them actually get this yearly service or does it get forgotten? thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi I believe the Megaflow type need the air gap maintaining quite regular
ie. 3 to 4 times a year
no such drawbacks with the Premier Plus type as it has a seperate expansion vessal

a typical service would be yearly .wich would include clean, check filters and controls. check expansion level,check for signs of leakage,p&t valve etc...as for the megaflow it has instructions for the homeowner to recharge the vessel by themselves anyway.to be honest most i come across havent been serviced for years. but dont forget there not far away from the same explosive rate as TNT.

Yes they should definitely be serviced annually by a qualified engineer. It's not that expensive to get done, even if parts need replacing. If you book the service to coincide with your boiler service, which should also occur once a year, then it'll work out cheaper as your plumber will only have to come out once and not twice.

Incidentally I've never heard of a Megaflo needing to be recharged as often as 3-4 times a year, they should be largely self-maintaining, and recharging can be done easily by the owner anyway.

One more point - make sure the person installing the unvented cylinder is qualified to do so. An incorrectly installed cylinder may well, sooner or later, explode. This will not only demolish your house, but probably your neighbours' house as well. Not wanting to put you off, as correctly installed and maintained u/v cylinders are absolutely fantastic and completely safe, just warning you of the dangers of employing someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Sponsored Links
i am thinking of having an unvented cylinder installed, i have been told it needs to be serviced yearly. Can anyone comment on the average cost for a service, and do most of them actually get this yearly service or does it get forgotten? thanks

Best use a DHW only heat bank or thermal store, as they do not require servicing and generally run at higher pressures than the average unvented cylinder.

We charge £55 for a boiler service in our local area and would probably add an extra £35 to service an unvented cylinder on its own at the same time.

We rarely get called to service unvented cylinders but we do get called to repair them when they fail. Thats usually the first visit they have had and we find that many were not correctly installed.

Tony

the other important factor for unvented (depending on Make) is whether it has a sacrificial annode or not, these need to be inspected and/or changed as per MI

i am thinking of having an unvented cylinder installed, i have been told it needs to be serviced yearly. Can anyone comment on the average cost for a service
It is one million pounds. This covers all annual services and a yacht in the Maldives.

i am thinking of having an unvented cylinder installed, i have been told it needs to be serviced yearly. Can anyone comment on the average cost for a service
It is one million pounds. This covers all annual services and a yacht in the Maldives.

quite clearly you must think your are very funny as i have seen you use this is many peoples post now. I can advise you that it is not funny and makes you rather sad. I did mention average and i would bet my life savings on it that your estimate is no where near average. The funny thing is i am not the usual person asking how much a boiler change would cost without giving any details, i was mearly asking the average cost of a service for an unvented cylinder. And anyone with any sense would guess if parts were faulty they would cost extra.

quite clearly you must think your are very funny as i have seen you use this is many peoples post now.
No. I am making a point. It being funny is just a bonus.

I can advise you that it is not funny and makes you rather sad.
OK then. It making me rather sad is just a bonus.

The funny thing is i am not the usual person asking how much a boiler change would cost without giving any details
You and I seem to have very different views as to what's funny and what isn't.

i was mearly asking the average cost of a service for an unvented cylinder.
OK. And the reason you haven't asked the service engineer is what?

And anyone with any sense would guess if parts were faulty they would cost extra.
I don't know where faulty parts come into it. My price is all encompassing, and includes a replacement Megaflo when yours wears out. It also includes a replacement house when you want to move.

Actually it is still funny to the many pros on here who give their good advise freely.

We have to lighten up a bit it keeps us here.

The people who get irate at the harmles humour makeit all the more funny and demonstrate more about themselves than they think they are demonstrating about us.

Your question is clearly against forum rules. Who is the fool?

the reason i have not asked a service engineer is because i said i was thinking of installing one, so i therefor would not have a service engineer yet. i also asked the average cost, one service engineer would not give me an average, where as many tradesmen on here may be a rough average.

And about it being against forum rules, i was under the impression that it is no longer against rules to ask a price for something.

Anwyay i am only playing along :p

No problems Steve!

I think it is perfectly reasonable for you to ask those questions and I have tried to give you the information you are seeking.

I am sorry that not all others have been as helpful as I am!

Tony

get it fitted by competent person correctly not too bad for maintenance.

satisfactorily fitted one as Tony says your local going rate for a call out should cover it. Find out locally what that might be.

unsatisfactorily fitted/maintained ones (which is all I ever get called to "service")

Expect a bill frequently above £150 for parts and labour and thank your lucky stars you still have a roof over your head.

i would rather fix asaniflow than put another one of these right. Customer who cut corners regarding safety of such a dangerous appliance is never my favourite type.

i also asked the average cost, one service engineer would not give me an average, where as many tradesmen on here may be a rough average.

perhaps the sensible thing to would be to phone several engineers in your area. people like agile giving you a price for london isnt going to help much if prices are different in your area. any firm should be able to give you a service price off the top of their head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back