unvented hot water cylinders

croydoncorgi said:
AFAIK, its only Heatrae Sadia (genuine) Megaflos that use the airbubble system. But good point!

no its not !
oso hotwater cylinders also use this system and both require a full drain off every year to regenerate the air gap

Sponsored Links
:oops: OK - well ....some unvented cylinders DON'T use the airbubble system.....

I am interested in other opinions about the wisdom or otherwise of u/v cylinders below drain level. Seems to me that given the cost and potential unreliability of anything involving a level switch and a large pump, it must be a Bad Idea.

Gravity is a very useful tool. Any other method is always harder. Newcomen and Trevethick made a good living out of fighting gravity, but someone had to pay.

The only other thought i have on the subject of putting unvented in the cellar is to put in a sump with a automatic pump to get rid of water same idea as a condense or saniflo pump arrangement but it would need to be able to withstand up to 95 degrees as some systems get this hot (Solar)

Sponsored Links
The only other thought i have on the subject of putting unvented in the cellar is to put in a sump with a automatic pump to get rid of water same idea as a condense or saniflo pump arrangement but it would need to be able to withstand up to 95 degrees as some systems get this hot (Solar)

Could you advise which sort of pump you would use for this? My plumber has installed the discharge outlet going in to a Sanivite (which is the higher volume version of the Saniflo designed for things like washing machines).

croydoncorgi said:
AFAIK, its only Heatrae Sadia (genuine) Megaflos that use the airbubble system. But good point!

no its not !
oso hotwater cylinders also use this system and both require a full drain off every year to regenerate the air gap

Actually OSO's new Super S range have gone to external EVs, expect the rest of the range to follow suit soon.

There are pumps out there, designed for the air conditioning industry originally, rated to 100ºC and providing flow rates of over 25l/min, which could theoretically be used for condensate drainage from a basement, but they're very expensive (around £300) and would no doubt suffer from the aforementioned issues associated with infrequent usage. I certainly do not think a Sanivite is adequate as isn't not temperature rated that high AFAIK, and I personally wouldn't install an unvented cylinder in the basement. I know you can get pumps with failure alarms on where they sound an alarm when the sump overflows, but it's going to be overflowing pretty damn fast if you get a full-flow release.

Could you advise which sort of pump you would use for this? My plumber has installed the discharge outlet going in to a Sanivite (which is the higher volume version of the Saniflo designed for things like washing machines).

you would need to speak with the manufacturer about this as i don't know the answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back