Servicing Mower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Admiral 16 Petrol Mower that I picked up from a car boot sale last year. I've been using it for over a year and am very happy with it.
I wanted to service it this year and had the following in mind: replace blade, drain and refill with new oil, replace air filter, replace spark plug. Should I include anything else?

More importantly, when I phone lawn mower suppliers for parts they advise me that Admiral 16 is too old and they don't have any parts. It may be an old mower but it runs as Briggs and Stratton Quantum XTL 50 engine and hence isn't that more relevant when looking for air filter and spark plugs?

I cam acros these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Service-...417596&hash=item2878b9d155:g:688AAOSwdHxbo0hK

Also, is there a generic blade I can use or are they machine specific?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20190404_152712842_iOS.jpg
    20190404_152712842_iOS.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 20190404_152718245_iOS.jpg
    20190404_152718245_iOS.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 114
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
That will do nicely, but lubricate the controls / handles / grass flap hinge as well as checking the handles are tight. If its self propelled, its worth taking the wheels off to lubricate the driving gear.
Check the blade - they are specific to some degree - and either have it ground or replaced as necessary. You may be able to match it up with a pattern part from GHS Ltd, and the same applies to the driving belt.
See that the blade boss hasn't lost its locating lugs if appropriate.
Tip - only tip the machine back on its handles - never on its side.
John :)

Thanks @Burnerman. Am I also allowed to tip the machine on its side as long as the air filter is on the side facing upwards?
Also, can I use 3-in-1 for the lubrication you have suggested?

You may get some oil going down the exhaust valve stem and dribbling into the silencer and the machine may smoke from some time afterwards, likewise the fuel from the carb may decant into the cylinder causing a difficult start up later on - you just can't win 'em all! Either way you risk fuel leaking from the fuel tank itself, whichever way you go.
3 in 1 oil is fine - I use an aerosol spray grease for preference.

Sponsored Links
Is tipping it back on its handles the safest way to go?
Also, do you know which oil I should be using after draining the existing oil please?

Yes, tipping it back on the handles is always recommended.
The absolutely correct oil is a straight grade SAE 30. This is because air cooled engines don't run at a strict temperature, unlike water cooled units....they get hotter when the ambient temperature is high or if you are cutting on full load. The straight grade lube stays in grade well.
However, feel free to use a semi synthetic 10-40 which is probably easier to get - you'll have no problems with it at all.

I'm sure it will be fine.
I use Morris Lubricants 10-40 bought in 5 litre packs as I get through quite a bit of it!
Hope your project goes well, always happy to assist if I can! Not all mowers have a drain plug, or even an accessible one - so either tip the old oil out of the filler or it can be sucked out with a vacuum device.

sorry for the incessant questions!
will 1L be enough to refill to the correct level given that I am draining everything? I wasn't sure if the 1 litre cans are intended for top-up purposes.

Yes, no problem....you'll have some left for any topping up. If its the engine I'm thinking of! Oil does tend to creep up the dipstick when the machine stands.

Progress: changed the filter and spark plug yesterday but unfortunately my oil suction kit wasn't man-enough to extract the oil. I think the tube was too thick to drop down into the oil tank! I need to revisit this. Thanks for the above info.

A further question please: my blade looks like this. Any ideas on what I need as a replacement or whether I am likely to find a replacement before I start to remove this.

Attachments

• file-1.jpeg
    file-1.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 94
I'd certainly go with litl's suggestion! Your blade is obsolete but there are a couple about. From here it doesn't even look like it will need balancing.
www.abbeygardensales.co.uk have them for £39.99. The part number is BQF016T49293.
Word of warning.....the blade looks to be secured with an allen bolt in a counterbored hole? Make sure you can shift it first - the correct key is vital and its probably imperial. I use an impact wrench to shock them out (usual RH thread).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back