Servicing Mower

Which direction does the Allen bolt open in please?
The same direction that the blade spins in
Edit: I would advise against using a bent type key and get yourself a proper socket type that you can hit straight on to drive it well into the bolt head. if you use the former type,its easy to damage it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for the prompt response. That’s anti-clockwise in my case but it’s not shifting at all. I applied some lubricating oil and hammer taps on Allen key - no avail.

Do I need to use a bit with my impact driver?

Attachments

• 02EE1D61-D4CD-447F-8076-7818345F7013.jpeg
    02EE1D61-D4CD-447F-8076-7818345F7013.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 66
The hex bit arrived and I could only use with my Makita drill/driver (not impact driver). This wont shift it either. I am at a loss with this...
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
The hex bit arrived and I could only use with my Makita drill/driver (not impact driver). This wont shift it either. I am at a loss with this...
Any suggestions gratefully received.
No wonder its the wrong tool for the job. what size drive is the hex bit?
Edit: better still post a picture of what you bought

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt response @lostinthelight.
I purchased this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160543210156

The thicker end went into my chuck and the other end was the right size for the allen key bolt on the mower. I can confirm that the chuck end of this bit was always gripped and not spinning freely.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Dig out all of the grot thats in the bolt head, tap in the tool above into the screw head.
Secure the blade with a chunk of timber and have someone support the deck as you use two hands to turn the bar.
John :)

Thanks guys. A couple of questions please:

- I assume the above requires me to purchase a ratchet? And there’s are no fittings that can work with my existing drill/driver or impact driver?

- I don’t understand how the ratchet method would exert more torque than my drill/driver (albeit with the wrong bit!) is currently. For clarity, even when my Makita is on high speed and full torque, the bit isn’t spinning freely - it just isn’t shifting the Allen bolt.

Hope that makes sense and appreciate your help

You'll need a bar of some description or a ratchet bar will be fine.
The electric tool just doesn't have the oomph to shift the bolt.
John :)

More importantly, when I phone lawn mower suppliers for parts they advise me that Admiral 16 is too old and they don't have any parts. It may be an old mower but it runs as Briggs and Stratton Quantum XTL 50 engine and hence isn't that more relevant when looking for air filter and spark plugs?
Google .......The lawn mower centre Hailsham ..... they now have an online shop. If they can't supply a part , no one can. They had parts for my 1960's rotavator with a Lauson engine :eek:

Thanks guys. I will try this with a ratchet. I will also give the Mower Shop a tinkle tomorrow to see if they do replacement blades. Of course, I still need to remove the current blade...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back