'Servicing' old windows - very drafty!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to be the week for doors going wrong but I'm also thinking about my windows at the moment. I've got very old upvc windows and they're very VERY drafty. I sometimes think I must have left the one next to our bed open but...no, it's just the wind whistling through it somehow.

Most of the windows are like this and although I realise that newer windows are going to be much better, I don't have the cash at the moment and I'm wondering if there are things we can do to make the old ones better.

I was thinking a first step would be to replace the seals around them - although some look like they are far from shutting flush - I'm not sure if this is about hinge adjustment?

Another thing that window salesmen comment on is the fact that they are externaly beaded. Although to me, the beading looks ok - should this be replaced periodically?

any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Externally window beading is fine..that is just a salesman trying to get a sale lol
You say you have some gaps between the sashes and the frames? If it's hinge side it will require new hinges
Get a sample gasket set off the likes of evil Bay to try different gaskets

The external beading is unlikely to be contributing to the draught. The only problem with external beading is that it is fairly easy to remove with simple tools to allow the glass to be lifted out without creating any noise. It's a security issue not a draught issue.

Sponsored Links
The only problem with external beading is that it is fairly easy to remove with simple tools to allow the glass to be lifted out without creating any noise. It's a security issue not a draught issue.

Not always true... a lot of externally beaded windows either wedge gasket or a security tape, some also have security clips. But there are certainly some that are very easy to remove but they are in a minority

Not always true... a lot of externally beaded windows either wedge gasket or a security tape, some also have security clips. But there are certainly some that are very easy to remove but they are in a minority

LOL - that's like when I tell my toddler that it's not the ghosts he should be scared of - it's the burglars ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back