Servis M6115 Washing Machine trips RCD fuse even when OFF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Having endured the seven upside-down hells of Astaroth to replace the rubber door seal / gasket on this machine, the problem it has recently exhibited has just returned.

I know the door seal was leaking and just kept an eye on it until about a week ago when plugging the washing machine into a wall socket (even with the machine powered off) would almost immediately cause a trip. So I bit the bullet and ordered a pattern part gasket. One painful hour and it was fitted. For the next three days all was well and the washing machine caught up with the growing pile of washing waiting for it. Time for a celebratory KFC I think.

This lunchtime however, the RCD fuse trips returned. I have no idea why. No leaks, no damp, not a plug or socket issue (tried all that) but whatever I checked - can find nothing wrong.

This machine has been going for years previously and never gave me this kind of power tripping Malarcky. In fact the nearest I came to Power trippin' was playing my "Almighty" CD
:mrgreen:

Does anyone have any ideas? I have read that it may be caused by a totally unrelated appliance or even a dicky light fitting but I am not up on this electrickery. I guess my next course of action is to open the lid and delve in with torch and see if I can find anything obvious dangling where it shouldn't be?

Sponsored Links
Why do you need to unplug the washer after use & are you using a switched or un-switched socket? For the rcd to trip there needs to be an in-balance in the current flow, this may or may not be due to the washing machine & possibly just a faulty socket.

Hello,

I do not usually unplug the washer but I have been trying to establish where the fault is. I have tried other sockets and tried other appliances in the "usual" washer socket and the problem isn't with the socket. I have also inspected the plug on the washer for scoring or other suspicious marks but it looks absolutely perfect. I have also changed the fuse in the plug and this has made no difference either.

I must therefore conclude the problem is with the washer somehow. My next step is to leave the washer for a couple of days to "dry out" in case there is a leak somewhere and see if that sheds any light on the problem.

Sponsored Links
Well it's been well over a month and the Washer has been fine.

I do firmly believe the problem with the RCD tripping was not down to, or not entirely down to, the washing machine.

I am very suspicious of a small fan heater I plugged in occasionally in the garage.

Anyway, I have not used the fan heater since and the washer has behaved impeccably since too.

I guess the moral of the story is not to focus ONLY on the machine that causes the trips - yes check the obvious stuff, the plug, the socket but then look for anything else suspicious. It could even be a light switch somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back