servowarm supreme+ leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have an ooooold servowarm supreme plus system which seems to have sprung a leak, it's from one of the 2 big nuts above and to the left of the pilot light.

Plumbers have been before and told us we need a whole ne'er system, but this isn't really an option at the mo.

Is this leak serious? Easy to fix?

any advice would be great

Sponsored Links
Photo would be helpful, these are obsolete now most parts are unavailable. They have a nasty habit of springing leaks on the radiator swivel joints and they are no longer available. I would suspect most people wouldn't want to get involved with it.

Sponsored Links
Why is a new boiler not an option?

Are you happy to have no heating?

Many Servoward radiators cannot be pressurised so would need an open vented system. Not a problem but has to be taken into account.

Tony

Might be leaking from the rubber gasket behind the manifold. Tightening the nuts above and below may help. There is always the risk that something may break when doing this. The gasket is no longer available.
Replacing the boiler is the best long term solution.

Turned it on so the leak started, seems it's actually coming from the seal behind those 2 nuts, the dark area top right of the photo

you won't get anyone willing to repair that, most would know that attempting it will end in the bolts or manifold breaking, that boiler must be 40 years old,I would try araldite as a 'make do' repair, but sooner or later that boiler will die anyway,

I am sure that BG will replace boiler on easy payments over several years.

If you were genuinely needy the Warmfront scheme would probably give you a new boiler!

Tony

Explain the problem first and ask if he will offer a no-fix no-fee!

Although the gaskets are not available, some people will cut a replacement from flat gasket sheet.

But only a VERY few will even consider that.

I have heard of people doing that with inner tube !

But someone would have to be very desperate to want to try that.

In my view the boiler is seriously over due for replacement. You must have been aware of that for some while!

Tony

We've not been here too long, it's worked like a dream so far so we haven't thought about it too much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back