Leaky Servowarm Supreme boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Got a leak from a 15-year old Servowarm supreme boiler, this is an old floor mounted boiler similar to, probably the same as in fact, this one //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1416096#1416096

The leak is from a perished gasket which seals a smallish case which bolts onto the side of the boiler, this case has an outlet which feeds up to the pump. On startup I get about a pint of water out of the system until the casing heats up, expands and seals itself (I assume...).

Obviously this is quite inconvenient, and whilst a new boiler/CH system is in the pipeline I'd like to keep the current system alive for another six months or so.

From searching this forum it seems I'll be out of luck with spares, but it LOOKS as though it really should be quite simple to fix, unbolt box, cut (rubber?) gasket to size, rebolt. I'd like to know what to expect in there though, something just seems quite strange about that box...

Any suggestions? At the very least it would be nice to be armed with information when I call "Homeserv" to be fleeced. (Fingers crossed the weird radiator seals seem ok at least...).

cheers, Digger.

Sponsored Links
Homeserve will probably turn up, sorry spares not available, I'll get the saleshark to pop in and rip you off for a new boiler.

Saying that it may be worth considering it anyway.

" it looks like it may be simple to fix" famous last words,,,,the bolts will be siezed and getting anything but the right tool on it will round the corners, id leave well alone till you are ready to get new boiler fitted.

For future Googlers, here's the outcome of this.

The leak got much worse, so I decided there was nothing to lose by unbolting the manifold to see what's going on in there.

It's just simple plumbing, it's nothing more than the casing you can see, so having cut and fitted a new gasket from 3mm rubber gasket sheet it's now sealed as good as new.

Interestingly the central free portion of the gasket curves in exactly the same way as the old gasket once tightened down (this will make sense if you have one of these)....

cheers,

Sponsored Links
" it looks like it may be simple to fix" famous last words,,,,the bolts will be siezed and getting anything but the right tool on it will round the corners, id leave well alone till you are ready to get new boiler fitted.

Those are the words customers use when asking a professional to come to repair something.

It really means they hope/expect that it will be cheap!

Those are the words customers use when asking a professional to come to repair something.

It really means they hope/expect that it will be cheap!

Nothing wrong with that at all.
So not sure what point (if any) you make here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back