Condenstate leaking from flue turret on WB HE 30 Plus Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

i have a Worcester Bosch HE 30 Plus Combi that's been working fine for many years.

Yesterday I noticed that there appeared to be some water leaking onto the digital control panel originating from within the boiler case.

I've investigated this (by removing the outer boiler casing) and found that when the boiler is running, drops of water (presumably condensate) appear from what looks like a green gasket - it looks like the mating surface between the flue turret (that sits on the top of the boiler) and the boiler flue socket (from within the boiler).

Worcester Bosch have said that occasionally the seals do go - my boiler was fitted in ~ 2002 and have given me a part number for the replacement seals pack (87110043290 - apparently, I just need the green one and not the black one).

Some time ago I noticed that occasionally drops of water would accumulate on the outer surface of the flue (the metal pipe that supplies air to the boiler) but this seemed to stop of its own accord.

I was concerned that perhaps water was running down the air intake and leaking back into the boiler.

Which appears to be the most likely?
1) the green seal has just given up the ghost because its now old

or

2) there's a further problem with my flue pipes, the internal seals of which have perished too leading to condensate running back into the boiler but via the air intake route?

the boiler runs fine but clearly I want to avoid water getting anywhere near the board etc.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
cannot say I am a worc fella but we had a problem with water running back down the air intake on one was caused by rain ingress , I beleive or know that the flue in question had a part fitted , a type of rain cowl designed for that purpose , supplied by worc ???

The seals are usually made of a silicone based material, it sounds like the seal was pushed out of line when installed, a new seal should sort it BUT it is not a DIY job as the flue system comes under the dictates of the GSUR. ;)

I have seen this on the he, wb have a new improved seal! Not for a diyer unfortuneatly! Is the main combustion chamber rusted!? You need to get someone in to replace the seals and flue elbow! Wb will fix it for £210 or get somebody out who knows the boiler! Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies - was convinced everybody would be in bed!

yep the bottom part of the airbox is rusted - I suppose acidic water meeting steel won't do it any good at all!!

The rusting looks bad (gives the impression its been happening some time) but I suppose the acid speeds up the corrosion process.

Funny thing is the boiler was fitted by a neighbour (CORGI registered when CORGI was still en vogue) and I actually helped him at the time so I know exactly what he did.

The boiler was moved when we had the kitchen refitted and the builders used bodge-it-and-scarper-plumbers and I suspect that's when the damage was done.

I went back to the boiler this evening to check my theory of water running back through the air intake - and its definitely not that. The installation manual provides a cross section of flue turret and water isn't leaking from where I'd expect it to if water was passing back down the air intake.

So it looks like the seal. Just googled it and its around £30 for the parts. I even happen to have a spare flue turret. £210 seems a bit steep for what should take less than an hour's work.

So the seals are definitely fall within the gas safety regs?

Unfortunately, my neighbour moved away!

Has anybody used British Gas and their fixed price repairs? On the surface they seem cheaper but there's something about them that just doesn't make me want to trust them!

For 210 wb will bring your boiler back to " as new " including boiler off the wall and replacing cabinet! Not so bad when you consider this! The green bit goes and a new grey one ( I think) goes in it's place, a new shaped updated flue elbow also appears! I guarantee condensate is coming back in via the green seal! Personally wouldn t trust bgas, you need someone who knows the boiler, it isn't a matte of just changing the green seal. Went to one on Friday and someone replaced the green seal 6 months ago and used loads of sealant?! Yes it carried on leaking!

Your choice hope this helps!

I spoke with Clive on WB technical - quite friendly and willing to help (whereas a guy I spoke to earlier didn't want to tell me anything unless he had his lawyer beside him advising him what to say) - he advised not to bother with their £210 fee and go with somebody local who would do it cheaper. He just mentioned the seals - (1 green, 1 black - he said check the black one and keep the green) - nothing about having to replace the flue turret.

Sealant? WTF? I'm not heating engineer, but even I know that smacks of a bodge.

As it happens, I have had cause to use WB's £210 one off boiler repair for a 24cdi - the fan sounded like a plane taking off and eventually gave up the ghost. They replaced the fan and even gave the boiler a service for that price too. Engineer was good plus I quizzed him about 101 different things.

Replace cabinet as well? So are you saying that they'd see the rusting airbox and replace that too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back