set house on fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
as a regular poster on these forums I wish to share this one....there is no catergory thinks i so just put it here, maybe some opinions or advice needed.

A freind (yes a freind and not me covering up) lives in a private house which is semi detached to a council owned house, he lives alone and bought this house some 20 years ago from the previous owner who took advantage of right to buy. he had a woodburner in the living room with external flue, installed with what looked well and with twin wall flue up way above eaves, but note not hetas registered or maintained by certified person, the house caught fire last week and took out a bedroom a big section of roof and similar in the neighbours....from my casual observations the fire looks like it started behind the woodburner as the timber frame wall....yes timber frame wall) is completelety burnt through and chases up the cavity to the bedrooms and roof........now heres the crunch...the neighbours have been evacuated to temp accomodation by the council...the fire officer as inspected but yet to report there findings......and my freind as no house or contents insurance. can anyone cast a light on what may happen here???? for me i believe if the fire is accossiated with his (not strictly compliant) woodburner, then the council house insurers would try to recover the costs that they settled with the council, who I believe would make a claim againgst there own insurers.
thankfully nobody was hurt , my freind who is beside himself with worry. I will happilly answer anyones questions but would love to get some good angles on the ongoing scenario.

thanks
Russell

Sponsored Links
It's not automatic that your friend would be responsible, but it can be complex and turn on the facts.

Fundamentally, it would have to be proved (not surmised) that your friend owed a duty to the council, and that he was negligent in that duty.

The insurers may well assert lots of things and your friend may need legal advice to refute such assertions.

Alternatively, the insurers, with or without some proding by the council, may well write things off where there is no chance of recovery of costs, and publicity would be detrimental.

I don't think speculation will help.

Get him to explain his position to the council housing team - even the fact that he may need to declare himself homeless due to his circumstances. Get a case officer, escalate it if necessary.

Also get legal advice, via a charity if need be. The council could even assist with this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back