Setting joists in block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 joists to fit into a block wall, are they simply set in with mortar, minimum 100mm recess, or is a padstone required? Span is less than 3m and other end is on supporting wall. Only loading is light footfall. (For sake of argument bolting beam and using hangers is awkward as they run either side and parallel with 2 steels.)

Any advice appreciated as always.

Sponsored Links
You can point around with mortar when installed, but they really need to sit directly on brick/block it is normal practice to use old slate or tile as packers to bring them to the level you require. That said I have used ply when no slate to hand in a former life :oops:

Thanks mikric, I'm fairly sure I can get them level on/in the block using slate etc, as you say. I was just making sure that I did not specifically need to introduce a padstone which obviously requires more cutting out etc. As the other ends sit on the wall with no 'extras' it makes sense that this end wouldn't need anything other than a hole and leveling, but it's best to check!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back