Setting new pan on Amtico floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Grateful of some advice.
Just about to fit new CC pan onto new Amtico floor.
Floor laid first so no cut out - continuous flooring under pan.
Cistern will have two screws retaining to wall.
Floor nice and flat (latex levelling screed before flooring).
I am wondering do I need the two fixing hole screws if I use good bead of silicone around the pan base. The fixings are not the newer bracket type but the more traditional screws that go directly into floor so some faff in marking / moving and drilling accurately.

Seems a shame to drill new floor if I don't need to.

Thanks in advance D.

Sponsored Links
Thanks ajstoneservices.
That's very helpful of you.

D

Depends on how much wiggling and dare I say it, the weight of the customer and the frequency of usage. If they are on the larger side then the silicone will eventually burst and the toilet will move. I thought Amtico was just a fancy vinyl type flooring? Surely that's not an issue to drill through? Is it a wooden sub base, if so why drill into it, just screw directly into it?

Sponsored Links
The flooring is on a concrete base.
There is 6mm latex screed.
The strips are then glued down as laid. It would need drilling and plugging before it could be screwed. It's not an issue just asking if necessary.

It's a downstairs cloak so will not see too much traffic.

D

I've used silicone to good effect many times over the years and not heard of a pan coming loose. I guess a lard ar$e twisting about on the bog my cause to come free.

More and more I`m seeing 2 lumps of 2x3 stuck to the floor and the pan screws screwed into the wood.

I've used silicone to good effect many times over the years and not heard of a pan coming loose. I guess a lard ar$e twisting about on the bog my cause to come free.
Myself included AJ, though weirdly have recently been called to a couple of customers whose bog installer (not me, for the record) just used silicone on a hard base and it's eventually broken free and yes they were both larger families, so I just bang a few screws in every time now.

Oppps, just realised we are talking about a different set of fixings but you know where I was coming from.

The other side of this is that a toilet isn't a permanent structure, it may need to be lifted at some time in the future for part replacement and I'm sure they wouldn't be impressed if their expensive floor comes with it, your shout though as you're there.

We are not Lardy-a so will give the silicone a try.
CT1 adhesive may be a bit too permanent for my liking.

Thanks D

No, CT1 is still a silicone and can be cut through at a later date for removal. It cures underwater and is just a better grade of silicone.

Okay - didn't realise that.
Will probably use a Dow Corning from Screwfix.

Have you ever tried an acrylic for this type of use.

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back